Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intake Manifold

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 07:01 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intake Manifold

So i am trying to understand all options before i pull the trigger on purchasing my mods for my 1998 Camaro Z28. My car has very low miles (10,400) to be exact. With that said, my plan is to make mods to the car,but i want to be able to return the car to its original state, if i wanted to. My plan is to purchase some american racing headers with air/egr and catted Y pipe for my ls1.

My question is, does EGR / AIR have anything to do with the intake manifold? I hope this is not a stupid question. I was thinking about pulling the trigger on a used LS6 intake on the classifieds, but didnt know if there were anything that would prohibit my plan of keeping the air/egr, that had to do with the ls6 intakes??

Any input would be great.

Thanks
Old 06-20-2011, 08:04 PM
TECH Addict

What year is your car? If its a 2001 or 2002 then you already have a LS6 intake and no EGR. But if it is a 98-00 then you have EGR and it will need to be eliminated if you want to use an LS6 intake. the AIR pump has nothing to do with the manifold.

If you want a LS6 and keep the EGR SLP makes a LS6 manifold that is modified with the EGR hookup but I really don't see those in the F/S section as abundantly as the non EGR LS6's. But I posted a Link to a LS6 manifold with the EGR that one of the sponsors sells, only downfall is there quite a bit more then used ones.
http://www.speedinc.com/cont.cfm?cid=C0000018

And you can always block on the EGR port on the headers if you buy the headers then decide to go with a non EGR intake.

Last edited by Starz T/A 17; 06-21-2011 at 01:24 AM.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:01 PM
Staging Lane

as stated above, it is a 1998.
Old 06-21-2011, 01:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

your car has a EGR system thats feeds exhaust into the intake.you can remove and store the EGR and AIR injection for restoration later on.you can delete those things and install a ls6 intake to gain power.if you don't live in Cali hop it up and do it right.get a thunder racing cam pkg and a ported TB.go to ls1howto.com for instructions on mods.you can buy a slp ls6 intake for $600+ to retain your egr.you can get a used fast 92 intake for that.