LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

OBD 1.5 code scanner

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 06:41 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OBD 1.5 code scanner

Maybe somenone can help me out.
I have a 94 Trans Am LT1. It runs pretty hot before the fans kick on (probably like most others on here) I would like to reprogram the computer to kick the fans on at a lower speed. The problem is I have a OBD 2 scanner for my work truck that obviously doesnt fit. I have an OBD 1 reader that fits but doesnt pull codes. I've heard this year is this OBD 1.5 Is there any way to reprogram the computer on a OBD 1.5

I was just going to buy the SLP manual fan switch if I cant program.
Thanksalot
Old 06-25-2011, 09:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

shbox has pinout for the obd2 style plugs that still use a obd1 pcm. wierd cause i didnt know any 94 model with that. on a side note those slp fan switches are expensive compared to a DIY mod of you do not mind splicing a wire or two in the harness.
Old 06-25-2011, 09:19 AM
TECH Regular

i have had the same problem with a friends car. only problem with the slp kit is you have to be able to get the plug out of the passenger side head. i think it is a 5/16 square drive and its pipe thread. T-I-T tight. i wound up going to gm and getting a new temp sensor that goes in the water pump and one for the gauge in the driver side head. i understand you wanting to turn the fans on at a lower temp, but i couldnt see spending a bunch of money for someone to do a tune just for the fans. anyway good luck with it. pm me if you have any questions about what i did.
Old 06-25-2011, 12:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get a cable from aldlcables dot com and get tunercats. You use a laptop and It's all really easy to do. The universal cable is great cause it just has pins that you insert into your OBD port so there is no worry of the plug being different. There is no OBD 1.5 either. The only odd thing that GM did was put OBD 2 plugs on OBD 1 cars in 95. A code scanner alone will not reprogram a pcm either.
Old 06-25-2011, 01:20 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the advice guys. Im leaning towards buying the cable and setting it with my laptop. I just wasnt sure if it could be done with my year. And I know Im caling it obd 1 and a half. I heard its a obd 1 port with a obd 2 computer--correct me if im wrong. . I checked out the shobox site about splicing in the switch with resistors and diodes but I figured for 69.00 I could have a plug and play deal. Id rather not hack up the wiring being its a bone stock unmolested 25th anniversary "hopefully future collectible" Msydow- I never heard that you had to run the slp fan swithc to either of the ect sensors. From reading the installation instructions, it said you tie into the 10 pin harness on the passenger side fenderwell and run the switch to the dash........
Old 06-25-2011, 02:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, you have an OBDI PCM with an OBDI connector. I strongly suggest you get the cable and TunerCat, you won't regret it in the least. You'll also want a data logging application; most go with DataMaster. VEMaster is a free app that piggybacks with TunerCat to help fine tune your VE tables. Here is a good place to start: http://www.lt1pcmtuning.com/tips/

Enjoy!

Quick Reply: OBD 1.5 code scanner