General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Window motor replacment for door w/ broken fiberglass

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 11:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 860 Likes on 612 Posts

Default Window motor replacment for door w/ broken fiberglass

I have a 00' Firehawk and I noticed last summer my window was acting strange when I rolled it up. I took the door panel off and where the rivets go through the door that attach to the regulator, the holes were wollerd(sp?) out and started to destroy the fiberglass around it. I haven't driven the car much and never got around to fixing it. I'm in the process of adding a A/V system in it. Since I had the door panels off I decided to tackle this. I have seen this question asked a bunch on here how to fix it.

I took the window motor out and made a template of the shape of the recess in the door. There is a small tab sticking out that you have to grind off flat. I used a hacksaw blade.

Then cut it out of some thick aluminum we had at the shop. Ideally I would have used metal but we didn't have the right thickness.

I put the plate on the door before installing the motor and marked the holes from the back. There are an extra set of holes on the lower right hand side which I drilled. Make sure you mark the correct holes. Somehow I got lucky and drilled the correct hole after I had two rivets in.

I did not use the rubber wedges to hold the window up. I will NEVER do that again. It is a nightmare. My buddy held the window up while I tried to line everything up. I ended up plugging the motor in so I could adjust it.

I got the correct low tension rivets from GM. Part # is 10157547. I know some people use bolts but I thought it was easier to use rivets.

I picked up some new window motors, They are the Seimems brand from Car Quest. I had read they are better than some of the others but read a few days ago they are junk. We will see.

I hope this takes care of it. I ran the motor up and down a few times to make sure it worked. I can't believe how much the inner door flexes.

Thanks for reading. Hope this helps someone.

Last edited by LilJayV10; 06-28-2011 at 11:59 PM.
Old 07-07-2011, 10:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats very interesting, I hope it holds. I replaced the door frame on mine for the same reason, got a good deal on one painted to match from a JY. Then just swapped the guts over. Problem is F body door parts are getting more and more expensive if you want the correct parts.

Quick Reply: Window motor replacment for door w/ broken fiberglass