Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

1998 Camaro engine/trans swap LY6 6.0L 6l80

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 02:16 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 Camaro engine/trans swap LY6 6.0L 6l80

Hey guys, I had my share of Camaros. Three of them by the time I was 19. '95 V6, '00 Z28, and now a '98 Z28. I've enjoyed every memory of my Camaros. I did the typical teenager stuff in them. I could write a book about everything, but I'll get to the point. My current one (the '98), I bought with a blown engine. I knew exactly what I wanted it for. It had everything I needed to rebuild the engine. I am going to a tech college for automotive technology and I was able to rebuild it in school. I spent 3 weeks rebuilding it and took pictures the whole way (I can post if anyone would like to see them). As soon as I finished it, I put it in the car with the built 4L60 that came with it. I drove it about 5 miles and had it running for about 30 minutes all together. I felt pretty proud of myself for it being my first rebuilt. As soon as I got home, I put the pictures on the internet and listed it for sale. It was a quick sale. But now, the good stuff. With the money, I ordered a used engine from a company I deal with (SSP, Sand and Street Performance). It is an LY6 with around 60k miles and a warranty. All I did was tell them what car I have and what engine and transmission I'm going to use. They make their own wiring harness and tune the computer and everything. The put all new accessories and an LS3 intake on the truck engine. It was ready to drop in besides getting an Fbody oil pan, which they request I find a used on instead of them buying a new one for me. Cheaper. In a couple weeks, I plan on ordering the 6L80 or 90 from them and get it running. I know I'll have to have the drive shaft altered somehow. I don't want this one too long, so I was wondering if there is anyone out there that has done this and if they ran into any trouble fitting anything or you could help me prevent any snags. Thanks.
Old 07-12-2011, 05:02 PM
Staging Lane

Anyone?
Old 07-21-2011, 05:33 PM
Staging Lane

Well I ended up hitting a snag. The company I got my harness and computer from (SSP) switch my VVT LY6 over to a 24x reluctor setup(I'm never dealing with them again). I had already bought my 6L80 before I found this out. Now I can't use the VVT or my 6L80 because they both require 58x system. So now I have to start all over. I'm getting a factory harness from a new truck and making it work on my car. So if anyone has a engine and transmission harness, E38 ECM, pedal assembly, DBW throttle body from a newer pickup.
Old 07-25-2011, 06:26 PM
Staging Lane

NEED help please. I need to know what all it takes to convert back to 58x. And what my best option is for my setup. I think I'm going to get a factory harness like I said earlier and everything else it needs. If anybody has any advice or help for me, it would be much appreciated.

Quick Reply: 1998 Camaro engine/trans swap LY6 6.0L 6l80