General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Engine dies immediately after starting

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 05:15 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Engine dies immediately after starting

HI,

so I have an 01 Pontiac TA WS6 that every time I turn the key to start, the engine dies shortly after starting. Doesn't happen all the time, but more often than not. And often soon after it dies, I try to re-start, but it won't. I push the clutch in all the way and still nothing. I pretty much have to wait like at least 5 mins before it starts up again. I took it to the repair shop and was told it was the starter and "clutch safety switch". I got both parts replaced and still the same results. Now im being told my alarm system may be interferring with the starter....is this correct?? Please help!
Old 06-29-2011, 05:24 AM
Teching In

does it turn over at all when you try to re-start? my buddy had a problem with the alarm on his 02 WS6, it didnt quit on him though he drove it all around and over to a friends house and it would never start again. i THINK he had to go have another key programmed at the dealer. i will ask him later on what he had to do for sure
Old 06-29-2011, 05:31 AM
Teching In

It kinda does this at random. Sometimes it doesn't even start at the first try, and will start after a few tries. Once it starts though, its good to go. But since Pontiac isn't really around anymore, u think the dealer would be able to re-program another key??
Old 06-29-2011, 05:37 AM
Teching In

yea any chevy dealer should be able to do it. may want to wait for a couple others to chime in on this before you listen to me though they may know of a way to test if its the alarm or another issue
Old 06-29-2011, 06:31 AM
Teching In

For sure thanks =)
Old 06-29-2011, 08:48 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Maybe it's your fuel pump. You'll need to check the pressure on it with a gauge. Are you saying that when you try to start it, the engine doesn't turn over? Or, it turns over but doesn't start? If it's the latter I'd suspect the fuel pump-those things go out all the time and give the symptoms you're describing.

I hate electric fuel pumps. I blame them for everything, from flat tires, to poverty and heart problems...
Old 06-30-2011, 05:29 AM
Teching In

Yea it turns over then shuts off soon after, like I turned the key to shut it off. I heard it could be the fuel pump or maybe the spark plugs were old. But wouldnt the f-ing mechanic I brought it to know this after checking!? I already paid for the starter and SOP switch replacement but it didnt do shi**.
Old 06-30-2011, 01:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

check your battery connections....my car had a similar problem that left me stranded all over town. Turned out the ground what a half a turn loose and was making enough contact for low amperage items to work (lights ect.) but not enough to turn the starter. Make sure both battery connections are tight ^^

Quick Reply: Engine dies immediately after starting