General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

TA 98+ Lights

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 01:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TA 98+ Lights

My car is a Trans Am 2001 (Cab), US factory car.

Since *someone* changed my stock lights (to pass inspection), I would like to know how the lights where connected at FACTORY:

1) Are the front amber sidemarker lights also working as turn signals? I know the is only one bulb (parking/sidemarker), but is + connected to somekind of relay, in a way that it's blinking when using the turnsignal?

2) Are the rear lights on in a car with DRL-lights (on), or are only the front parking lights (DRL) on at daylight? I take it the front parking lights = DRL?

4) How can I get the front parking lights (amber) to work as DRL, if this car doesn't have a DRL-sensor in the dashboard? Or does all cars acctually have the sensor, but US-cars doesn't have it connected? If I don't have a sensor, can I still get the front parking lights to work as DRL?

5) Is the FRONT sidemarker exactly the same on a Camaro 98+, as the REAR sidemarker on a Trans Am 98+? I.e. could I put in a amber front sidemarker from a Camaro on my Trans Am as rear sidemarker?
Old 07-14-2011, 11:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

1. No, sidemarkers do not blink, they are on when Parking/Headlights are on.

2. No, rear lights are off when Parking/Headlights are off. DRL and Parking use different filaments of same bulb. DRL is brighter than Parking.

4. DRL turns on when parking brake is released with ignition key at on.

5. Camaro does not have front sidemarker. Camaro and Trans Am have the same rear sidemarker.
Old 07-15-2011, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by joecar
DRL and Parking use different filaments of same bulb. DRL is brighter than Parking.
Thought the two filaments are for parking and turn signal. There is also only 3 cables to the front parking lights, right? Ground, parking, turn signal? Which cable is for DRL?

is it:

Filament 1 = parking
Filament 2 = turn signal
Filament 1 and 2 glowing = DRL ??

or is it:

Filament 1 = parking
Filament 2 = DRL
Filament 1 or 2 blinking = turn signal ??

or maybe some other way?

Originally Posted by joecar
Camaro does not have front sidemarker. Camaro and Trans Am have the same rear sidemarker.
Hawks Third Gen Parts claims Camaro rear fits Trans Am front, and that Trans Am rear is different. Which is correct?
Old 07-15-2011, 12:41 AM
Staging Lane

The DRL uses the same filament as the turn signal.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:43 AM

Starting to getting a hang of this, but I have one more question. Asuming ignition is ON, and parking break is released:

According to the users manual, the DRL should be on only if the headlamps are OFF (written with capitals, which gives me the impression meaning switch is in "0"). This is not the case in my car. The DRL is on, also if the headlamp switch is in PARK. No matter if headlamp doors are up or down. This means that both DRLs and parks are lit at the same time in PARK! (or to be precise both the blue and the brown wire is hot).

Is there an error in the users manual, and this is the correct behavior? Or do I have a problem, and DRL should always be off whenever headlamp switch is in PARK (or HEADS)?

Note! If headlamp switch is in HEADS, then the DRLs are never lit, only parks+heads. Also if ignition is OFF, and headlamp switch is in PARK, only parks are lit.

Last edited by Spitzkindl; 07-20-2011 at 09:50 AM.

Quick Reply: TA 98+ Lights