Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Removing Side Moldings

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 11:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Removing Side Moldings

I have a silver 02 SS and the side moldings are starting to fade, so instead of painting them, can i remove them easily without damaging any of the paint behind it, the car is mint shape wise, just dont wanna take the chance, has anyone ever did this before or can give me so advice? thanks
Old 07-16-2011, 11:15 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Almost everyone on here has done it. You will be fine as long as your car hasn't been repainted.
Old 07-16-2011, 11:16 AM
Launching!

I would try to heat up the moldings or do it on a really hot day. You will still leave glue behind. Rub it off with your thumb and then clay bar it.
Old 07-16-2011, 11:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by PGUFF
Almost everyone on here has done it. You will be fine as long as your car hasn't been repainted.
Originally Posted by PGUFF
I would try to heat up the moldings or do it on a really hot day. You will still leave glue behind. Rub it off with your thumb and then clay bar it.
No its the original paint, and its clean, but wut do i use to pry it off? i dont wanna hurt anything behind it
Old 07-16-2011, 11:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Heat with a hair dryer and slowly pull it off. I used bug and tar remover for any adhesive left over.
Old 07-16-2011, 11:41 AM
TECH Addict

You don't need to pry it just grab and pull or you can use fishing line and saw through the glue.
Old 07-16-2011, 11:43 AM
12 Second Club

Heat gun, paint thinner (for the adhesive), rags and patience. Be careful you don't get to radical when pulling them back...don't want the paint to get messed up. Took me roughly an hour 1/2 to get everything looking tip top.
Old 07-16-2011, 11:46 AM
TECH Regular

I didn't have a problem removing the side molding on a cold day, I use a butter knife & carefully started taking off the side molding, & after it was off, there was glue still on the sides, I went to autozone & bought Goo Gone, I rub it against the glue & let it soak, after that I used my finger nail to scratch off & it came off with no problems, this was before I had my car painted
Old 07-16-2011, 11:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Heat them up, pull them off slowly. When you pull the tape off, pull it parallel to the panel & stretch the tape, it will start to pull off & it lifts a lot easier. There was write up on here about it before.
Old 07-16-2011, 11:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ChrisRZ28
Heat with a hair dryer and slowly pull it off. I used bug and tar remover for any adhesive left over.
Originally Posted by bigj2717
You don't need to pry it just grab and pull or you can use fishing line and saw through the glue.
Originally Posted by *02WS6TURK*
Heat gun, paint thinner (for the adhesive), rags and patience. Be careful you don't get to radical when pulling them back...don't want the paint to get messed up. Took me roughly an hour 1/2 to get everything looking tip top.
Originally Posted by ls1jorge
I didn't have a problem removing the side molding on a cold day, I use a butter knife & carefully started taking off the side molding, & after it was off, there was glue still on the sides, I went to autozone & bought Goo Gone, I rub it against the glue & let it soak, after that I used my finger nail to scratch off & it came off with no problems, this was before I had my car painted
Originally Posted by Unstang
Heat them up, pull them off slowly. When you pull the tape off, pull it parallel to the panel & stretch the tape, it will start to pull off & it lifts a lot easier. There was write up on here about it before.
Ok Cool thanks guys, how did all of ur paint look on the back side of the molding? can u tell the difference any dull spots? thats wut im worried about lol
Old 07-16-2011, 11:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

You'll need to clean & polish it up, but it should be fine. I've done it on several different colors of F bodies & never had a problem with the paint looking bad under there.
Old 07-16-2011, 11:58 AM
TECH Addict

Just claybar and wax after you remove it and you shouldn't see any difference
Old 07-16-2011, 12:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Midnight00SS
Ok Cool thanks guys, how did all of ur paint look on the back side of the molding? can u tell the difference any dull spots? thats wut im worried about lol
Mine was fine.
Old 07-16-2011, 12:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Unstang
You'll need to clean & polish it up, but it should be fine. I've done it on several different colors of F bodies & never had a problem with the paint looking bad under there.
Originally Posted by bigj2717
Just claybar and wax after you remove it and you shouldn't see any difference
Ok thanks guys, this should be tommorows project then, hopefully all goes well, its a shame cause both side door moldings are fine, but its the one on the quarter panels that are not good, so im gonna have to take all of them off
Old 07-16-2011, 12:09 PM
TECH Regular

Ok thanks guys, this should be tommorows project then, hopefully all goes well, its a shame cause both side door moldings are fine, but its the one on the quarter panels that are not good, so im gonna have to take all of them off
After you get them removed post pics
Old 07-16-2011, 12:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ls1jorge
After you get them removed post pics
Def Will
Old 07-16-2011, 01:38 PM
12 Second Club

Mine has been garaged since day one, so there wasn't any paint fade (silver's a mild color too) and not much dirt behind the moldings.... So the paint was fresh.
Old 07-16-2011, 01:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by *02WS6TURK*
Mine has been garaged since day one, so there wasn't any paint fade (silver's a mild color too) and not much dirt behind the moldings.... So the paint was fresh.
Yea mine sits outside, but im a detailer so im always taking care of the car inside out

Quick Reply: Removing Side Moldings