Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

question for 317 heads

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 04:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default question for 317 heads

ive heard of people milling these down to make higher compression. how much could u mill them? could u say make them about like a set of 243's? ive heard 317's flow just about as well as a 243 so can i just mill them down and if so will i have to get shorter bolts or anything
Old 07-24-2011, 04:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I milled mine .045 to get a 65cc chamber. That's about as far as I would go. Only problem is you decrease the PTV clearance alot just to get to a stock size 243 chamber. You won't need shorter bolts.
Old 07-31-2011, 08:13 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Like Pwebbz8 said, you can mill them down to almost as small a chamber as the LS6's came with without having to worry about intake alignment and such, but then you have decreased your valve drop (piston to valve clearance therein) to the point that you cannot run a very aggressive camshaft at all.

LS6 heads would be a much better starting point for an NA/nitrous combo!

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!

Quick Reply: question for 317 heads