Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 LS1 coming out SDPC El Toro 427 going in?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 02:18 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C5 LS1 coming out SDPC El Toro 427 going in?

Hey everyone,
This is a request of heads up list i'll need to expect when i swap out my heavily modified LS1 to SDPC El Toro 427 w/ LS3 aluminum block in my 02 C5.

I guess for starters i'm just curious to find out what all is swapable, for example, oil pan?, timing cover, all my sensors? etc.........

Will i be able to use all of my accessory drive brackets? Valve covers? Headers? bellhousing? Stock computer? harmonic balancer? etc?

On their website doesn't give a ton of info on what all it comes with so i'm looking towards you guys for help/advice.

thanks in advance!
Old 06-06-2011, 08:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Short block or long block? The bottom end stuff like oil pan etc are a direct bolt on. The accsy. should all work. Knock sensors will have to be relocated as well as the cam sensor. What heads are you going to run? The intake will need to be swapped if running the 3 heads.

What crank reluctor ring tooth count did you order? I'm thinking 24 for a stock LS1 computer. Do a search or look in the stickies.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:11 AM
TECH Regular

I haven't ordered anything yet so i'm free to do whatever, but I'd be ordering the short block and get a set of heads from somewhere else etc. I was planning on L92 but I've heard that GM has stopped making them and now all of the sudden they are impossible to find.

Here is another question, I figured these EL toro SDPC engines would be super popular with the race guys since they are built with good Callies or Eagle cranks, H-beam rods etc... why is it that i can't find anyone that runs these engines?
Old 06-06-2011, 05:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I am running a SDPC LS7 based 427 in mine. You will need some adaptor harnesses which SCPC can supply. The knock sensors get relocated to holes (which need to be retapped) in the sides of the block.

The oil pan will fit but you may need to space the windage tray to clear the crank counterweights.

You will have to either clearance the motor mount or the block.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:14 AM
TECH Regular

Very cool & very good info VortechC5, what kinda HP/TQ numbers did you get out of your setup? Is your's supercharged? (Per you're name?)

I've got this same post on Corvetteforum.com and a guy said he was wondering about the bigger stroke in the stock LS3 block and durability, have you had any issues or heard of this? My thoughts were SD wouldn't put that combo together if it didn't work i'd think?
Old 06-07-2011, 08:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No supercharger now. I learned that lesson and went big inches instead.

Mine did 494/492 RW with the original cam. Since then I changed out the cam and ported the intake. I have not been on the dyno since. One of the fun things is that it is making 400 RWTQ at 2800 rpm.

I have not had any problems with the SDPC shortblock.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:08 AM
TECH Regular

lol very cool!
Old 07-31-2011, 04:09 PM
Staging Lane

I have an SDPC 427 sitting in a friends garage waiting for the last few piece parts. (cam, pushords and rockers). Patrick G cam and Mast heads.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you order your motor the vendor will have a list of what you need to switch over. You will need hardened washers for clearancing your oil pan. For me if I had it to do over again I would have looked at spending the money on a lighter crank after I looked inside and saw how much of the block the crank really takes up. Also I would have prefered to have ordered a windage tray that was designed for the extra stroke instead of jury rigging the stock one.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 896 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by VortechC5
Mine did 494/492 RW with the original cam.
Damn that's killer torque!

Originally Posted by Orange Juice
When you order your motor the vendor will have a list of what you need to switch over.
I was going to suggest the same thing. SDPC are good people to deal with and are knowledgeable about these kind of swaps. I would venture to say they should be able to get you pointed in the right direction.

Is it possible to get that crank with the LS1 style reluctor wheel so you don't have to use a conversion box?

Keep us updated OP on what you end up getting.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:42 AM
Staging Lane

Yes they will install whichever reluctor you want.

Quick Reply: C5 LS1 coming out SDPC El Toro 427 going in?