Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Best way to lower?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 06:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best way to lower?

I bought my 98 t/a from a guy that only lowered the front with eibach springs and i guess he did it wrong or something bc the rack and pinion got screwed up. It was also a pain to pull in my driveway so I replaced the rack and pinion and put on stock ws6 springs but now it seems to high. What is the best way to re-lower my car but only like 1.5-2in max and not mess anything up? I just bought some 17x9.5 18x10.5 c5z06 rims so what would look good? I just put new shocks on monroe sensa-traks(on a budget) post pics also if you can and tell me what you have done. Thanks!!!
Old 07-23-2011, 07:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The proper way to lower it is with a good set of lowering springs, a good set of shocks valved properly for the springs you're using, and some supporting suspension modifications - an adjustable panhard rod as a requirement, and adjustable lower control arms and lower control arm relocation brackets will help wheel-hop with a lowered car quite a bit.

There's not a spring in the world that will work properly with those shocks; if you can still take them back, do it, and then buy something like a set of SLP Bilstein shocks, or, at the very least, some KYBs. There's not a shock that Monroe makes that's not a piece of ****, and even at stock height they're horrible; with lowering springs, the car would ride and handle like a cast-iron whale.
Old 07-23-2011, 08:51 PM
TECH Addict

Lower control arms are not needed when lowering the car but if you want delete wheel hop when you lower the car, get LCA's and relocation brackets
Old 07-23-2011, 11:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Rear lower control arms; should have specified in my earlier post. Few enough people seem to run the aftermarket control arms that I usually forget to say which.
Old 07-23-2011, 11:34 PM
On The Tree

Ive had those shocks on my truck and really liked them and was kinda on a budget and needed to get the car fixed as its my dd and went with those shocks...i actually like them...not rough or anything but doesnt ride like a boat either. And what are the good brands like bmr etc etc
Old 07-24-2011, 12:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Once you get a good set of shocks, you'll realise what you were missing. I've put a lot of Monroe shocks on cars (not mine) because of budget constraints, and most of them didn't ride any better than the blown stock shocks they replaced.

Anyway, UMI, BMR, Strano, and MWC are four big names to look at; BMR, UMI, and MWC are all manufacturers, while Sam Strano races (and wins) with f-bodies. Not really going to go wrong with any of them.

I would really stress though: drop springs on those shocks will make your life hell. If you can't afford $400 for a set of Bilsteins right now, staying on stock springs until you can afford decent shocks with drop springs is going to make things a lot more pleasant.

Quick Reply: Best way to lower?