Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Cost to weld sub frame connectors?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 02:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Cost to weld sub frame connectors?

I recently purchased some sub frame connectors and have been calling around to a few shops to see what it would take to weld them in. Three of the four didn’t know what SFCs were The other quoted me $130. I thought that sounded incredibly steep for just a few quick welds - especially since this is the same shop that charged me $350 to do a complete gear swap that took an entire day. Is this what everyone else spent? I’m no expert welder, but may attempt to do it myself for that price.
Old 06-14-2011, 02:43 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Local shop charged me $10 per point of weld. So $40 since subframes only have a front and rear point to weld and each side. $130 is a rip off!! The most i would realistically pay is $20 a weld. It takes only about 10 minutes each side.
Old 06-14-2011, 02:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Guess it depends on the shop, the quality of the work, and how much prep is needed. A hack shop can do them in 20 minutes; a quality shop it will take longer.

Hell, it takes that much time to properly prep the bottom of the car and grind/clean the weld points properly.

Personally, if it's a shop that's trusted, and you know does good work, $130 isn't a bad deal if they're doing everything and do a quality job.

By doing everything I mean:
1) Grind the clean all areas to be welded.
2) Straighten and fit any areas that need minor repair.
3) Weld Subframes.
4) Primer and paint welds.

Hell, if you want to go extreme you could do what I did... I had my car put onto a rack at a collision shop and measured, then had the SFCs welded on while the car was on the rack. (This makes sure EVERYTHING is in perfect alignment).
Old 06-14-2011, 03:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

I welded my own with a buddies welder and I'm no expert. It's been 4 or 5 years now and the welds are still holding up. Also remember, (if you didn't know already) if you have it done, find a place with a drive-on 4 post lift. You want the weight of the car resting on the wheels. 2 post lift is not a good idea. I had to drive my car up on ramps then block up the rear tires.
Old 06-14-2011, 03:27 PM
10 Second Club

You could clean and prep the areas for welding yourself and tell the welder that. It should save you a few bucks.
Old 06-14-2011, 03:30 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 97FormulaWS-6
Guess it depends on the shop, the quality of the work, and how much prep is needed. A hack shop can do them in 20 minutes; a quality shop it will take longer.

Hell, it takes that much time to properly prep the bottom of the car and grind/clean the weld points properly.

Personally, if it's a shop that's trusted, and you know does good work, $130 isn't a bad deal if they're doing everything and do a quality job.

By doing everything I mean:
1) Grind the clean all areas to be welded.
2) Straighten and fit any areas that need minor repair.
3) Weld Subframes.
4) Primer and paint welds.
Hell, if you want to go extreme you could do what I did... I had my car put onto a rack at a collision shop and measured, then had the SFCs welded on while the car was on the rack. (This makes sure EVERYTHING is in perfect alignment).

My $40 job consists of all stated above. NO JOKE!! But then again my car was pretty straight already. Welds are not the best but good enough to take a beating for the last 4 years of DD, SCCA, Drag, Drift and many more to come.
Old 06-14-2011, 03:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hey, if you can get it done with $40 and are happy with the results, GO FOR IT!!!
Old 06-14-2011, 07:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would not want a $40 SFC install done on my car. And good shop will not stay around doing work for that cheap.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Welding is a good paying job, they charge quite a bit. Thankfully I learned myself, unfortunately don't have welding equipment
But as long as you have been satisfied with their work in the past, $130 would be well spent in this area. Remember they outcome of choppy work with SFC's could cost ALOT more
Old 06-14-2011, 09:18 PM
TECH Resident

I paid my local race car builder a $100 bill ... whoever you go with, be sure they know what they are doing. The suspension MUST be loaded when welding these in.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:11 PM
TECH Addict

just go to a place you trust and show them in person what you need done. Im sure that will help minimize cost. Them actaully seeing what there doing instead of talking on the phone trying to explain it. ya know
Old 06-14-2011, 11:21 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by skopers3
I recently purchased some sub frame connectors and have been calling around to a few shops to see what it would take to weld them in. Three of the four didn’t know what SFCs were The other quoted me $130. I thought that sounded incredibly steep for just a few quick welds - especially since this is the same shop that charged me $350 to do a complete gear swap that took an entire day. Is this what everyone else spent? I’m no expert welder, but may attempt to do it myself for that price.
dude thats a really good deal and the gear swap as well for $350

old saying "YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR"
Old 06-14-2011, 11:23 PM
TECH Regular

Mine was $50 to weld up my bolt in subframe connectors
Old 06-15-2011, 03:41 AM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i paid an hour since the shop was an hour minimum cost i had them fix a couple exhaust leaks and do LCA brackets since they were done pretty quick and they do really good work.....it was $95/hr
Old 06-15-2011, 05:57 AM
10 Second Club

I charge $125 at my shop. My labor rate is $105/hr. If you think about prep, it takes a little over an hour start to finish. Put it on the lift, remove paint from car, and subframe connectors, wipe it all down.... usually have to remove the lower contro arm bolts too. Very few dont get sandwiched there....
Old 06-15-2011, 12:13 PM
TECH Addict

If I was welding on SFCs for someone I would charge about $150. Unless they were already bolted to the car, then it would be cheaper. Or if its for a buddy, then my going rate is a case of beer
Old 06-15-2011, 12:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

damn... my exhaust guy had me pull my car over the pit (like oil change places), scuffed the area to be welded with 80 grit on a little air sander, tacked in place, ran beads, and hit with some black spray paint to prevent rust. Took 20 minutes if that... he charged me $25 and I gave him a $50
Old 06-15-2011, 12:49 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BrianSF-GA
I paid my local race car builder a $100 bill ... whoever you go with, be sure they know what they are doing. The suspension MUST be loaded when welding these in.
I also paid him $60 to tack my u-bolts and mounting plates for my drag bar.

Everyone else I went to would not price the SFC install .... they just said "by the hour price" which was usually $85+/hour. I like a firm price! I would think that if you knew how to do the work, you could quote me a price instead of leaving it open. I guess if they messed it up, they wanted the option to charge you the time required to fix it.
Old 06-15-2011, 06:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Wow a lot of different opinions here. Think I'll shop around a bit and try to find a few more quotes.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:19 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by BrianSF-GA
I also paid him $60 to tack my u-bolts and mounting plates for my drag bar.

Everyone else I went to would not price the SFC install .... they just said "by the hour price" which was usually $85+/hour. I like a firm price! I would think that if you knew how to do the work, you could quote me a price instead of leaving it open. I guess if they messed it up, they wanted the option to charge you the time required to fix it.
Things dont always go so easy. I had an LT1 firebird come in that I could not get the LCA bolts off. They were loctited and corroded, If my modded Snap-on MG 725 impact cant get it off fast, and I break a snap on 25" long 1/2"drive ratchet on it there is a problem. Now, should I soak up the time and eat it because that that car is a pile, and cost me aggrevation, a broken tool and briused knuckles...nope... If I "messed it up" it would be on me, but that likely wont happen. Like I said, I usually end up charging $125, but there have been cases where it's more. But dont make it seem like every shop charging an hourly rate is trying to f*ck you. /rant

Quick Reply: Cost to weld sub frame connectors?