Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Share Transmission Tune?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 12:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Share Transmission Tune?

Well I'm sick and tired of trying to fight this transmission of mine and I'm sick of it not shifting so I'm here asking if anybody out there might be willing to share a tune that they know WORKS with their combination (assuming it's close to mine).

First I'll give a rundown of my setup.

'98 Camaro (99+ PCM conversion)
4L60E (mild build)
4000 Stall
4.11 Gears
EFILive

If you might be willing to help and you use HP Tuners... screen shots of the transmission tune would be MUCH appreciated!

Now the problem I am having is that the transmission will not shift at high RPM's. I'm starting to think it might be slipping the moment it tries to command the shift, but I'm not sure. Can someone please tell me what things I should log to see if the shift is being commanded??

I know my next request is a long shot, but I'm taking the long shot anyways. Does anybody have a similar setup as above, 4l60e with 4.11 gears, and have their car tuned and shifting correctly at say 6000 RPM? I tried lowering my WOT shift RPM's down to 5800 and it still will not shift under WOT. It shifts fine cruising around, but refuses to shift out of 1st or 2nd when under WOT.

If someone can share their tune, it'd be greatly appreciated... I'd love to compare my tune to someone else's to see what might be different. Now I have a good sized cam, and decent heads, a fast 90/90 combo and a high stall converter as well, and I understand all of this factors in, but c'mon, the damn thing should shift at 5800 RPM unless something is seriously wrong in the tune or I have a mechanical issue. I figure if I can get someone's good working tune... and the problem persists, I can probably blame the issue on a mechanical issue or lack of transmission fluid. Whatever the case, I'm desperate for help. I did increase the shift pressures, but not dramatically. I don't know for sure if the transmission has a shift kit in it or not, but would increasing the pressures cause the transmission to NOT shift with a shift kit?? I'm beyond lost at this point... I'm the first to admit I'm not that great at tuning, but if someone can share their good working tune with a similar setup, I'd love to see where my numbers are at versus theirs. BIG THANKS to anyone willing to help. Thanks to all those that took the time to read my repetitive post, lol. This forum is top notch.
Old 07-27-2011, 10:55 AM
On The Tree

I'm not a tuner but I have built a few transmissions. You need to put a pressure guage on the tranny and check for line pressure. Also if there is even a remote possibility there is a shift kit in your tranny you need to set the epc back to stock. The shift kit will increase line pressure at wot anyway. If you increased it even more it can cause damage to the unit.
Old 07-27-2011, 12:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 98 4X4 burban
I'm not a tuner but I have built a few transmissions. You need to put a pressure guage on the tranny and check for line pressure. Also if there is even a remote possibility there is a shift kit in your tranny you need to set the epc back to stock. The shift kit will increase line pressure at wot anyway. If you increased it even more it can cause damage to the unit.
Thanks for the response. I sure appreciate it. I'm going to put the transmission pressures back to stock, double check the fluid level and give it a try again tonight. Hopefully with better results. Thanks again!
Old 07-27-2011, 01:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Have the shift tables been scaled for the gears/tire size? HP Tuners does it for you. Datalog current gear or commanded gear. Not sure what EFILive calls it. Setup your scanner where you only log rpm, mph and commanded gear. You should get higher resolution only logging a few parameters. If it is commanding the shift at least 400-500 rpm before the rev limiter and not completing the shift it is probably a trans issue. If it's not keep lowering wot rpm and mph until you see the pcm commanding the shift. Sometimes with steep gears and a 4K converter you have to lead the shift by 4-500 rpm or more.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:12 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2xLS1
Have the shift tables been scaled for the gears/tire size? HP Tuners does it for you. Datalog current gear or commanded gear. Not sure what EFILive calls it. Setup your scanner where you only log rpm, mph and commanded gear. You should get higher resolution only logging a few parameters. If it is commanding the shift at least 400-500 rpm before the rev limiter and not completing the shift it is probably a trans issue. If it's not keep lowering wot rpm and mph until you see the pcm commanding the shift. Sometimes with steep gears and a 4K converter you have to lead the shift by 4-500 rpm or more.
This should get him wrapped up.

Another thing you can do for trouble shooting is to ZERO the WOT MPH upshift table (forces car to shift by RPM alone at WOT) just to make sure that the MPH is not the culprit. The WOT MPH must be met BEFORE the commanded shift RPM or it will run off to the limiter.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:37 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Also just as a side note the pcm does NOT use the speed(mph/kph) reading from the scanner to determine the shift points, it uses a calculation.

I posted regarding this on our forum(and stickied the thread) and even posted a excel file that i whipped up regarding it. I know its helped me figure out several shifting issues over the years.

www.hptuners.com/forum
Old 07-27-2011, 04:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You guys are awesome!! Thanks so much for the tips. I'll play some more tonight and report back with my findings. Again, thanks a ton for the responses... sure is nice to have a place with some good guys willing to share their knowledge. I appreciate it guys!
Old 07-27-2011, 05:13 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A data log of the WOT shifting would be nice too. Is it commanding the shift and not shifting, or is it not even commanding the shift? There are several pressure tables, modifiers, shift time, etc. to decrease (quicken) the actual shift times. If it's commanding, but not shifting, it's possible to tune it to quicken the shift. It's also possible the tranny isn't capable of it mechanically. Without a data log and some experimenting, it awfully hard to tell.
Old 07-27-2011, 05:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I can post a log after I take it out for a spin tonight... would you mind sharing what PIDs I should be logging in EFILive to see the data you're looking for? Thank you!

Brad
Old 07-27-2011, 05:33 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by edwardzracing
I can post a log after I take it out for a spin tonight... would you mind sharing what PIDs I should be logging in EFILive to see the data you're looking for? Thank you!

Brad
It's late over here, and I don't have my tuning gear fired up. The most important things are commanded gear and current gear. Then all the normal stuff. RPM, TPS, etc. The common PIDs. Pressure would be a bad idea either.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Rpm
vss
tp
map
maf
dyncylair
iat
ect
sparkadv
kr
gear
tccmode
tfmprs
shiftlast
trqeng

edit: I typed those in uppercase, and the forum software made them into lowercase, sorry.