Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Am I asking for a broken tail shaft? Transmission mounted torque arm people come in

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 04:10 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Am I asking for a broken tail shaft? Transmission mounted torque arm people come in

I just picked up a full length adjustable torque arm and am wondering if I can get away with just mounting it to the trans and not buying the relocation crossmember right away. My car is full bolt ons, Torquer V3, Yank 3600ss, 4.10 gears. I've also got 3 point sfc's, lca's, re-location brackets, panhard bar.

The car made 377rwhp and 360tq on the dyno. Do you think I can get away with just mounting my new torque arm to the stock trans mounted location? Or should I just wait and get a relocation crossmember?
Old 07-28-2011, 06:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you going to be racing with the car before you get the new crossmember, or just cruising around town? Barring and really hard launches on sticky tires, I think you'd be fine until you get a new crossmember.
Old 07-28-2011, 06:27 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Does anybody break tailhousings, without a stock steelie shaft?
Old 07-28-2011, 11:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

^^^Well apparently is was a problem at some point because they designed the relo cross-members. Dead hooking from a dig would be most likely to break a tailshaft I think. And M6s probably are more prone, but they typically run the short chassis mount torque arms around here.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:52 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

If you are going to race the car or drive it spiritedly than there always a chance of it breaking. I have personally seen guys with stock horsepower break it so I recommend it to anyone who drives their car like they should. When it comes down to it buying a torque arm relocation transmission crossmember is cheaper than having to fix the mess that comes from a broken tailshaft housing.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!

Quick Reply: Am I asking for a broken tail shaft? Transmission mounted torque arm people come in