Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I get the trans serviced?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 09:13 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I get the trans serviced?

I picked up my 2002 Z28 about 2 months ago. It has 85k miles and I am the 4th owner. I honestly have no idea if the transmission has ever been taken care of and next week i will be getting my new yank 3600 ss converter installed so i was just wondering if you reccomend doing the trans service because i heard it could be bad to do this if its never been done before on an old trans. Also, would you reccomend me doing a transcooler.
Old 08-04-2011, 12:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Camarosteve44
I picked up my 2002 Z28 about 2 months ago. It has 85k miles and I am the 4th owner. I honestly have no idea if the transmission has ever been taken care of and next week i will be getting my new yank 3600 ss converter installed so i was just wondering if you reccomend doing the trans service because i heard it could be bad to do this if its never been done before on an old trans. Also, would you reccomend me doing a transcooler.
I say get it done. I can't imagine running old fluid in a trans that will be taking a beating...not to mention the added heat that a stall will produce when not locked up. I personally would not run a stalled car without a trans cooler and temp gauge...seems kinda crazy, IMHO. I like to KNOW (as much as possible) what is going on with my car...but that's just me.
Old 08-04-2011, 12:06 AM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Do the job yourself. My trans service was done when I did my stall. I took the trans out, took the old converter out, stood the trans up on its tail to drain all the old fluid I could, filled the new tc with fluid and installed with the trans. I got about 9 qrts new fluid in the trans with new filter. It was done 8k miles ago at 92k and no problems.
If your not doin it yourself just ask them what they can do to get the old fluid out but I wouldnt hook it up to a flush machine. Your probably just gonna have to settle for a pan drop to change 4qrts fluid and filter.
Old 08-04-2011, 12:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by senicalj4579
Do the job yourself. My trans service was done when I did my stall. I took the trans out, took the old converter out, stood the trans up on its tail to drain all the old fluid I could, filled the new tc with fluid and installed with the trans. I got about 9 qrts new fluid in the trans with new filter. It was done 8k miles ago at 92k and no problems.
If your not doin it yourself just ask them what they can do to get the old fluid out but I wouldnt hook it up to a flush machine. Your probably just gonna have to settle for a pan drop to change 4qrts fluid and filter.
Agreed....and worst case, change the filter/fluid one more time in 500 miles and you can be pretty darn positive that you've got it all out and are good-n-clean inside the trans.
Old 08-04-2011, 12:16 AM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by salemetro
Agreed....and worst case, change the filter/fluid one more time in 500 miles and you can be pretty darn positive that you've got it all out and are good-n-clean inside the trans.
Thats actually the way to do my dd honda civic because theres no pan.
Doing it that way there is no way to get all the old out because it gets mixed but its pretty much the best way you can do it and its better than doing just the 4qrts in the pan. Now if your a nut like me and stand the trans to get the fluid out thats even better lol
Old 08-04-2011, 06:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

might as well have it serviced. yes, id go with a coler as well as a depper trans pan.