Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Vortech Power cooler question...

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 01:52 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Vortech Power cooler question...

Im installing a Vortech V1 on my 1993 LT1 soon and i was wondering if it would be worth it to put the power cooler it came with on it. Im only going to run around 6 lbs boost, does it really make that much of a difference with that low of boost? plus its gonna be a bitch to mount under the hood lol
Old 08-05-2011, 04:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even at 6psi the power cooler with make a difference on how much timing you can run and lower your iat's. It will run fine without it, but you will be down on hp a little bit.
Old 08-05-2011, 08:50 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TransAmatt99
Even at 6psi the power cooler with make a difference on how much timing you can run and lower your iat's. It will run fine without it, but you will be down on hp a little bit.
ok any idea where i can mount it? lol its kind of big and theres not to much room under the hood, Thats the main problem that makes me think i might not be able to :-/
Old 08-05-2011, 11:30 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Do it!

Is it a proper kit for an LT1 F-body? Instructions should be in the install manual. If you don't have one, you could order from Vortech. I have a V9G kit with aftercooler on my 2001 Camaro SS and the install guide was great. There are plenty of pictures for illiterate people like me.
Old 08-06-2011, 12:03 AM
Staging Lane

haha the kit is off of a LS2 Silverado SS the kid blew up his motor and i scored it for 500 bucks all i needed to get is the mounts and i actually found a kid on here im waiting to hear back from who has what i need i cant really see how this cooler will fit anywhere under the hood i see on the LT1 kits it shows it on the drivers side over the valve cover and thats just not gonna happen lol its to tall
Old 08-07-2011, 12:42 PM
10 Second Club

"Superchargers" , especially VORTECH, are kinda vehicle specific. Id imagine if its the right rotation blower, your going to basically have to buy everything else from the lt1 kit to make it work. Mine is running 7lbs and the aftercooler helps cool the air from roughly the 140-150 range comming out of the blower to around 11-15 degrees above ambient while crusing. I have used an infared temp light on the blower outlet to verify this and using HP tuners and having my iat sensor moved to after the intercooler to verify iat's while crusing under vaccum and at wot. A good friend of mine has a 95 gt with a non intercooled vortech on it and you dont wanna touch his tb or anything before as its hot enough to severely burn ya. Long story short, I wouldnt run boost without an intercooler of some kind.
Old 09-21-2012, 07:44 PM
TECH Regular

How did the install go on the 93? Do you have any photos or performance reports you can update us with?

Joe
Old 09-22-2012, 08:30 PM
Teching In

I have an a/w intercooler on my v1/lt1, I ran it for awhile with out water because the radiator leaked. I bought a new one and instantly noticed a big difference.

Quick Reply: Vortech Power cooler question...