Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this normal?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 09:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this normal?

Just had my 4L6OE rebuilt by a local...well known trans shop in my area. It seems really grabby...car lurches a little and I can feel the rear end pull just a bit when I put it into "D". However, once the trans is up to temp, its not that bad. Just wondering if this is normal to you guys?

Listed parts:

B Shell (thicker)
Heavy duty sprag
Revline
Heavy duty 3-4 clutches
Transgo shift kit
Servo...etc

I do have an external trans cooler.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:15 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would think that the line pressure is too high... especially if you're running the 3,600 rpm stall converter currently. What you describe is commonly referred to as a harsh engagement. That can cause premature wear and tear on the planets and other hard parts. For example, if the input drum is not sleeved it can cause the input shaft to become loose inside the drum which can cause a myriad of problems including internal pressure leaks.

You might want to get a pressure gauge on it and make sure the line pressure is not too high. Also, make sure there are no powertrain trouble codes in the PCM, some can cause the pcm to command max line pressure.

g
Old 08-12-2011, 10:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Gilbert@Ace Racing
I would think that the line pressure is too high... especially if you're running the 3,600 rpm stall converter currently. What you describe is commonly referred to as a harsh engagement. That can cause premature wear and tear on the planets and other hard parts. For example, if the input drum is not sleeved it can cause the input shaft to become loose inside the drum which can cause a myriad of problems including internal pressure leaks.

You might want to get a pressure gauge on it and make sure the line pressure is not too high. Also, make sure there are no powertrain trouble codes in the PCM, some can cause the pcm to command max line pressure.

g
I will hook the lap top up, and if there is any trouble codes. Thanks for the clarification.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:34 AM
FormerVendor

Cool, can you tell me if your EPC tables have been modified? The reason I ask is that many, many "local" builders will turn the adjusting screw on the EPC which will cause more line pressure... and if your tables are tweaked then it will be very harsh on the pump and all sorts of hard parts.

Holler back when you get a chance to do that.

g
Old 08-12-2011, 10:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Cool, can you tell me if your EPC tables have been modified? The reason I ask is that many, many "local" builders will turn the adjusting screw on the EPC which will cause more line pressure... and if your tables are tweaked then it will be very harsh on the pump and all sorts of hard parts.

Holler back when you get a chance to do that.

g

I did a comparison check on my stock tune vs my dyno tune and there were no changes to the line pressure...modifier. No codes either. The only changes that were made was to the Full Throttle shift speed..."Normal" table, Full Throttle Shift RPM..."Normal", "Performance" and "Hot" tables. However, I just noticed that my DTC line pressure codes are disabled.
Old 08-12-2011, 11:37 AM
FormerVendor

Okay that's good info, I wouldn't get any heartburn over the EPC DTC"S being turned off. Howver, I would call the guy that built your unit and ask him if he tweaked the EPC.

You might also take the car by and see what he says about it. I have built many, many 60e's with big converters in front of them and they do not have a harsh engagement. I do not like to see that for the reasons I stated earlier.

g
Old 08-12-2011, 11:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Okay that's good info, I wouldn't get any heartburn over the EPC DTC"S being turned off. Howver, I would call the guy that built your unit and ask him if he tweaked the EPC.

You might also take the car by and see what he says about it. I have built many, many 60e's with big converters in front of them and they do not have a harsh engagement. I do not like to see that for the reasons I stated earlier.

g
Im on my way to the shop now. The builder is being really cool and did mention that the line pressure does increase after the type of shift kits he uses.