Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

noob starting soon, need help and pointers on a single turbo build

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 04:34 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default noob starting soon, need help and pointers on a single turbo build

hello everyone. i have my02 ws6 for about 6mo now. its quick, but i want something FAST but also reliable. here what i was thinking, please give me feedback nothing set in stone yet, im starting to collect parts now, and i will have the whole winter to try to finish. here goes:
I was thinking a 6.0 (either ls2 or an lq block) built from the block up(probably get with a sponsor for a forged internal/ close to bullet proof build) 243 heads, not really sure about a cam.

now for the turbo kit, i was thinking a power band after 3500rpm because i was thinking if i baby it around town i could stay out of boost and save mpg, but when i open it up YIKES!!!

maybe some juice also but thats at the very bottom of my list.

i am also doing a 6 speed converison at the same time, with a ford 9" i already have most of the suspension and chasis parts.

I know this is vague, and sound like a pipe dream, but i am 100% serious about this. other wise i would waste your time or mine.

but seriously please help me!!
Old 08-18-2011, 04:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 31 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by fastbird02
hello everyone. i have my02 ws6 for about 6mo now. its quick, but i want something FAST but also reliable. here what i was thinking, please give me feedback nothing set in stone yet, im starting to collect parts now, and i will have the whole winter to try to finish. here goes:
I was thinking a 6.0 (either ls2 or an lq block) built from the block up(probably get with a sponsor for a forged internal/ close to bullet proof build) 243 heads, not really sure about a cam.

now for the turbo kit, i was thinking a power band after 3500rpm because i was thinking if i baby it around town i could stay out of boost and save mpg, but when i open it up YIKES!!!

maybe some juice also but thats at the very bottom of my list.

i am also doing a 6 speed converison at the same time, with a ford 9" i already have most of the suspension and chasis parts.

I know this is vague, and sound like a pipe dream, but i am 100% serious about this. other wise i would waste your time or mine.

but seriously please help me!!
search ky-turbo josh will hook you up..
Old 08-18-2011, 05:15 PM
8 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

what kinda whp #'s are you shooting for? for shortblock, something like the aes 390 would work out slick, heads go with 317's and good valve springs. cam will probably be something in the mid 230's or just get a va speed/ custom spec'd turbo cam. your trannys going to have to be built pretty serious if you plan on taking it to the track with a lot of power, wouldnt be a bad idea to check out a 4l80e if you wanna get track times out of it. building your own turbo kit?
Old 08-18-2011, 05:25 PM
Launching!

i was thinking mid 600's to wheels(maybe more) , and im not sure about building my own turbo kit, i was looking at the truck manifold sticky, doesn't look too hard, sounds like fun though, i am also wondering about intercooler location and piping. i was reading that you need to stand your radiator up? and what about a water to air cooler? i really don't want anyone to know anything by looking at my car though... kind of a sleep ( for an 02 ws6 lol)
Old 08-18-2011, 05:35 PM
8 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

oh mid 600's through a stick is easy...can be done on a stock shortblock lol. just paint the intercooler black and dont cut out the bumper. theres nothing to difficult about building your own kit, i had a blast doing mine, just look at some build threads and use their ideas. check out theblackplaque's build on here, think hes even local to you. you can pm me if you have any more ?'s.
Old 08-18-2011, 07:08 PM
TECH Resident

Hey curt what rod/piston combo you go with?
Old 08-18-2011, 09:25 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got you covered on the turbo kit.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:20 PM
Staging Lane

Do yourself a favor and buy a turbo piping kit from one of the sponsors. It'll save you tons of aggravation. Definitely go with 317's instead of 243's.