General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

General Question About Mods and RPM Range...

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 07:27 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default General Question About Mods and RPM Range...

Hey All!

(I hope I'm putting this thread in the right area!)

Here's the question: I'm reading a lot of books and other resources on LS performance mods. I'm pretty experienced with Gen I engines and have built a few - including a 400 HP 327. I did the assembly myself and did a ton of internal tweaks and mods like polished rods, mainstuds, windage tray, etc., etc...

Anyway, Gen I mods are always focused on the "intended RPM range" in that you don't put a cam designed for big top end power in a street car or a truck. There's lots of talk about low-end torque vs. high-end horsepower, gearing, etc., etc..

I'm not finding a lot of the same discussion with the LS parts and in the LS community. Maybe I'm just missing it so far.

For example, I have a 5.3L in a 4X4 truck. I can't imagine that an LS6 intake would be a good intake for that application with that cam, etc. I'm sure that engine is built more for low-end than a 'Vette or Camaro LS.

If someone can enlighten me as to how one pics parts and mods based on APPLICATION and intended use of the vehicle that would be awesome. I'm just not seeing the same focus on matching parts to RPM range and application as I'm used to seeing with Gen I stuff and I'm a little confused.

Thanks a lot!

Adam