Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hooker LT header install

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2004, 07:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Hooker LT header install

I just ordered my Hooker LT headers and ORY. My father is going to be puttin them in at his shop on a lift and everything. Can anyone list the problems or issue's they had when installling them, if any? also any website that steps out the process and anything else to will help will be great. thanks
Old 03-05-2004, 07:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

Me and a couple friends installed my Jet Hots (same as hooker), and the only problems I can remember is that the rear bolts are a pain in the ***. But other than that, we got the old manifolds off and the Jet Hots on in a couple hours.
Old 03-05-2004, 07:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

The headers should come with decent instructions from Hooker. We had to grind down a small part of the block to get one side to fit (I believe it was the driver's side), but other than that, everything went smoothly. Having access to a lift should make things even easier.

Good luck!

Josh
Old 03-05-2004, 08:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

And there are no problems that i might get down the road from these headers and y-pipe you can think of that other people have gotten that i could avoid by making sure install them right the first time? wow that was a long sentence.
Old 03-05-2004, 08:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

The only problem I had was the steering shaft and maybe the oil pan bolt they were a tight sqeeze. I had a problem with the ory hitting the floor off the line at the track so I bent that one section down a 1/4'' and it doesnt hit any more.
Old 03-05-2004, 08:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Wesley SS
The only problem I had was the steering shaft and maybe the oil pan bolt they were a tight sqeeze. I had a problem with the ory hitting the floor off the line at the track so I bent that one section down a 1/4'' and it doesnt hit any more.
So i should bend my ORY alittle? how and were do i bend it?
Old 03-05-2004, 09:23 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by freakynipples69
So i should bend my ORY alittle? how and were do i bend it?
I would not do anything until I had them in if I were you. Some people have had problems some people like myself have had no problems, don't create more headaches for yourself if a problem does not exist yet. I would suggest doing a search b/c there is too much info to be covered in this one thread.
I reused the stock bolts. I like others found them easier to use than the one's supplied, also this could lessen the chance that you crossthread a bolt in the head. Most suggest using the old gaskets or getting some new copper ones, I choose to use the paper ones but they have not failed me yet. I removed the steering linkage and did no grinding on the block. They went in with little trouble. The only issue I may have to rectify is the K-member which was a little less than 1" away from one of the header tubes.