Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

New member, first post; Energy suspension hyper flex system....

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 10:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member, first post; Energy suspension hyper flex system....

Im about to attempt to replace all of the bushing components on my 1998 Camaro z28. Ive owned this car just shy of two year and have replaced quiet a bit; alternator, starter, water pump, rotters/breaks. Recently I noticed a squeaky noise from the front passenger side and after reading some of the threads on here ive come to the conclusion that the struts and shocks or gone; figured as long as I was going to replace does components id tackle all the bushings and boots as some look like they are in pretty bad condition. I purchased the energy suspension kit and was wondering if anyone who has done this project before has some words of advise before I start.

thanks.
Old 09-04-2011, 10:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Are they poly bushings? I would not want that crap in my front suspension.
Old 09-04-2011, 10:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 216 Likes on 165 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Diaz28
Im about to attempt to replace all of the bushing components on my 1998 Camaro z28. Ive owned this car just shy of two year and have replaced quiet a bit; alternator, starter, water pump, rotters/breaks. Recently I noticed a squeaky noise from the front passenger side and after reading some of the threads on here ive come to the conclusion that the struts and shocks or gone; figured as long as I was going to replace does components id tackle all the bushings and boots as some look like they are in pretty bad condition. I purchased the energy suspension kit and was wondering if anyone who has done this project before has some words of advise before I start.

thanks.

How many miles are on it? First word of advise, find the nearest trash can and install the energy suspension bushings in it.

People will recount how they "firmed up" their suspension, and the poly bushings are fine. IMO, especially for a daily driver on rough pavement, add hard poly and regular use and mix some wear:

That caster bushing really makes the point nicely about poly's inflexibility and why that lack of deflection is NOT desirable.

Not the first time I've heard this one either.

Get some Moog replacements for the lower control arm.

Last edited by lees02WS6; 09-04-2011 at 10:49 PM.
Old 09-05-2011, 12:01 AM

the images make a pretty good point. They are polyurethane; what attracted me to them was the claim that they are "durable", but doesnt seem like thats the case. the car has just over 100K miles. I want to do a full swap, does moog sell a complete kit, seems like purchasing full kits is the most economical way to go.
Old 09-05-2011, 07:30 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Diaz28
the images make a pretty good point. They are polyurethane; what attracted me to them was the claim that they are "durable", but doesnt seem like thats the case. the car has just over 100K miles. I want to do a full swap, does moog sell a complete kit, seems like purchasing full kits is the most economical way to go.
It appears that you're confusing a couple of things. The poly is VERY durable. However, it's also much "harder" than the OE type, rubber bushings. It doesn't have much "give", so when you hit a sharp bump, something else has to give. In the case of the a-arm pictured above, the a-arm is what "gave".....

Moog doesn't package their parts as "sets", but they do make every part that you need. Any good parts counter guy can get you what you set up. One word of caution....Moog parts are more expensive than the current batch of chinese/mexican replacement parts that the "big box" parts stores offer at a lower cost. If you don't have the extra money to buy Moog right now, wait until you do! The "imported" stuff, IMHO, is worse than worn OE parts.....and I work part time in one of the "big box" stores, so I have an idea of what I'm talking about!
Old 09-05-2011, 11:17 AM

That makes perfect sense! Thanks guys. I'll be returning the polys and make it a longer term project to go for the moog bushings. Not that I'm going for a drag car, but would the poly be a good set up for does cars as I'd imagine a much more firm ride? My car is my daily driver and wouldn't have it any other way.

Thanks again.
Old 09-05-2011, 02:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 252 Likes on 208 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

i have poly in the front.............no pro so far.............
Old 03-27-2022, 11:58 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
i have poly in the front.............no pro so far.............
I'm in the process of swapping to poly all around right now... Still no problems from yours?
Old 03-27-2022, 11:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 252 Likes on 208 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

10 yr old thread bump !!!

now to answer your question.....never had one single problem with those poly bushings.....I recommend LOTS of synthetic grease.....like amsoil......that is waterproof.....not that tube of white crap that it comes with....if not lubed those bushings would eat themselves

that car is history now after meeting a road sign....still have the arms and bushings tho

Quick Reply: New member, first post; Energy suspension hyper flex system....