Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

98 Formula grinding popping on take off.

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 10:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Formula grinding popping on take off.

I've got a 98 Formula that I just bought with 163K miles.

When I take off from a stop and sometimes very faintly in 2nd gear I get this
sound. A very dull a low sounding grind fast repetitive grinding or popping sound.

EEEeerrrrrant! Like this!!

Car has stainless LT's (not sure what brand) and an X-pipe with 12" bullets dumped. They are very close to the torque arm. Barely can slide a credit card between them close. Could this be it? The exhaust is in place and mounted very solid.

Could the torque arm bushing be making this sound? or bad motor mounts? The shifter barley moves at all.

This is not my First T56 car and I have experienced a shifter that bounces around due to bad motor/ trans mounts.

If I let of the clutch with out any throttle I don't get the noise, or if I take off hard or semi hard there is no noise. Only on regular duty take offs from a stop.

It is somewhat hard to explain noises I know but perhaps someone here has had a similar situation and can help.

BTW, this is my first post with my new screen name. I've had many fbodies and several screen names but its been awhile sense I've used them and I cannot remember the passwords/ no longer have those e-mail accounts.