Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing Pan Gasket

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 12:15 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Removing Pan Gasket

Swapping the fluid and filter in my trans and Im having trouble getting the gasket off. Its hard as a rock and almost seems like its glued to the pan. As far as I know its the original gasket. A scraper isnt budging it and its just falling apart in the places that its not stuck fast. Anyone got any tips to help get this thing off?
Old 09-09-2011, 01:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Tap the scraper handle with something. That will help it dig in. Sometimes it comes off in layers. You could try some gasket remover spray, though I have never used it before. I typically finish it off with a fine 2 inch scotch roloc disc on an angle grinder.
Old 09-09-2011, 02:50 AM
TECH Resident

Doing a little more research since the post, I did find that a common practice is to use 3M scotchbrite/roloc pads. Ill give the combination of those two a shot.

In a separate issue that I didnt think of until a few min ago, when I replaced the filter I forgot to lube the tube with fluid before I installed it. There was still some on the seal when I put it back in (which form this site I have read it was not good to change unless it was damaged). Should it be ok or should I pull it back out and lube everything up?
Old 09-09-2011, 01:02 PM
TECH Resident

You should be ok w/ out the lube. Like you said the seal still had fluild on it.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:34 PM
TECH Resident

For the record, a sharp wood chisel and a roloc disk are the perfect combo for removing gaskets!