Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Considering doing a rear mount on my stock LS1. Opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 02:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Considering doing a rear mount on my stock LS1. Opinions?

Hey guys,

Recently I was about to pull the trigger on a cam swap w/ all new valvetrain until I realized that I have the resources to do a non-intercooled rear STS set up for a good price.

I read through the sticky on stock LS1 bottom ends and reliability (great sticky, btw) so that really helped clear up a lot of questions.

My plan is to stick with 91 pump gas on stock compression. Because this car is my DD and my only car (all current mods in signature) I am afraid of blowing the motor. The car will first have a base tune but right away will receive a very good street tune. Stock 10 bolt on 3.42 and stock 241 heads, stock cam also ('01 LS1). The valvetrain will be upgraded with dual springs and hardened pushrods. I'll be running street tires only and it will probably never see the track and I will NOT be launching due to the 10 bolt. The motor has only seen synthetic oil with regular changes, and it has about 85,000 miles on it.

So I was wondering if maybe I should stick with barely breaking 500whp and no more for now? I was considering under 500whp for a bit then increase boost once I feel more comfortable at the idea of hopefully not breaking things lol.

I will have a good waste gate (I don't know what company yet, but I don't want any boost spikes!), oil pump, lines, injectors etc.

Any suggestions with this set up, if you've had the same? I'm totally new to FI so any help at all is much appreciated!

Thanks, Tech!
Old 09-19-2011, 02:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

what's a "good price"?? and you're going to need a IC.
Old 09-19-2011, 02:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Somewhere near $1,000. Using used parts, free labor and such (don't worry, I know that the parts are quality).
Old 09-19-2011, 02:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

an STS kit is okay if you're just doing a run of the mill setup and dont plan on making big power.

you'll need an IC if you plan on getting to 500WP along with injectors and a fuel pump.

personally, i'd tell you to go with cam route with a 100shot. less maintenance and will be cheaper.
Old 09-19-2011, 03:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks man!

Yeah I just plan on "having a turbo" for now haha. Since I am on a budget, if I am anywhere near 475whp I'll be very happy for now! I plan on probably upgrading down the road, but STS is fine for me right now.

I thought you didn't need an IC to make 500whp? Where would it mount (front?)?
Old 09-19-2011, 03:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by V68Sweep
Thanks man!

Yeah I just plan on "having a turbo" for now haha. Since I am on a budget, if I am anywhere near 475whp I'll be very happy for now! I plan on probably upgrading down the road, but STS is fine for me right now.

I thought you didn't need an IC to make 500whp? Where would it mount (front?)?
ever heard the saying, "just b/c you can doesn't mean you should"

stock ls1 with 6speed will make around 320rwhp. its going to take you ~8-10psi (give or take) to get to the 5xx range. you'll want an IC to keep the IAT's down. and yes, youll have to mount it in the front bumper.

i suggest you read this:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...induction.html

and this:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...turbo-faq.html

since you're new to FI
Old 09-19-2011, 04:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've read those stickies-thank you for your help btw.

And I really don't want to get rid of the AC so maybe I won't shoot for 500whp
Old 09-19-2011, 04:29 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by TINKRD
an STS kit is okay if you're just doing a run of the mill setup and dont plan on making big power.

you'll need an IC if you plan on getting to 500WP along with injectors and a fuel pump.

personally, i'd tell you to go with cam route with a 100shot. less maintenance and will be cheaper.

We beg to differ on the big power with a rear mount. We finished up a forged 346 15psi and 665rwhp thru a 4l80E and a 9in. rearend. We recently added 75shot of NOS and made 746rwhp. 800rwhp is very doable with this setup. Here is the vid. Forgot to mention, its a little garret 76mm turbo with a .96A/R. Big power is very obtainable with a rear mount!

The vid

http://youtu.be/N287inuXdfc
Old 09-19-2011, 04:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Get an ebay intercooler setup its like an extra 300 max with good couplers and t bolt clamps... 8 psi should get you to 450rwhp... id get at least some ls6 valve springs as well to help with valve float.... a single walboro 255 should get you there along with 42 Ibs injectors..... anymore boost and youll need a bigger injector....
Old 09-19-2011, 04:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by headed-ws6
Get an ebay intercooler setup its like an extra 300 max with good couplers and t bolt clamps... 8 psi should get you to 450rwhp... id get at least some ls6 valve springs as well to help with valve float.... a single walboro 255 should get you there along with 42 Ibs injectors..... anymore boost and youll need a bigger injector....
I plan on using some Comp Cams springs for that, unless maybe I find LS6 ones for cheaper maybe to help offset the price of the intercooler. If I plan on hitting 500whp what lbs injectors do you suggest? 50?
Old 09-19-2011, 04:50 PM
Teching In

rear mount = ****.
Old 09-19-2011, 04:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Kickergt
rear mount = ****.
Cool!

When I can afford a better set up I'll let you know!
Old 09-19-2011, 04:56 PM
Teching In

Buy right and spend the money in the right place and you can get a front mount kit that will actually spool and you wont need nitrous to do it. Im just sayin cuz the further away a turbo is from the sorce the more the motor has to work to make power. Its a cool kit but not worth the money IMO
Old 09-19-2011, 05:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

if it's your DD and not a race car, then just do it! Don't holdback and you'll have fun in the process. 8lbs of boost will give you about 50% more power on top of whatever you have so keep that in mind. If you can boost it for $1500 total, then just do it and don't look back.

Spray is for the track in my opinion, again assuming you want to keep it DD
Old 09-19-2011, 05:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by chris@hps
We beg to differ on the big power with a rear mount. We finished up a forged 346 15psi and 665rwhp thru a 4l80E and a 9in. rearend. We recently added 75shot of NOS and made 746rwhp. 800rwhp is very doable with this setup. Here is the vid. Forgot to mention, its a little garret 76mm turbo with a .96A/R. Big power is very obtainable with a rear mount!

The vid

http://youtu.be/N287inuXdfc
i knew i should have chosen my words more carefully. lol I know a rear mount setup can make big power. (look at LMR's TT red Zo6 that was RCC's old car or Paul Majors vette)

my meaning was if he doesn't plan on making big power right now and just wants to throw on this kit, it will meet his needs. Just needs a front mount and supporting fuel upgrades.
Old 09-19-2011, 05:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by merim123
if it's your DD and not a race car, then just do it! Don't holdback and you'll have fun in the process. 8lbs of boost will give you about 50% more power on top of whatever you have so keep that in mind. If you can boost it for $1500 total, then just do it and don't look back.

Spray is for the track in my opinion, again assuming you want to keep it DD
This is my mentality; I'm not trying to be the most powerful stock LS1 around by any means, but I love my car and I love going fast, so what else do I need? lol

my meaning was if he doesn't plan on making big power right now and just wants to throw on this kit, it will meet his needs. Just needs a front mount and supporting fuel upgrades.
See my above comment. I'm just trying to make descent power for a stock LS1 is all
Old 09-19-2011, 05:28 PM
FormerVendor

The key in doing a rearmount and making it spool without alot of lag is the exhaust piping diameter and the correct turbo size. The people that say rearmounts are **** are the ones who don't have a clue about them or how they need to be setup. They have there place. I would do it , and never look back, except in the rear view mirror to see your opponent getting further and further behind you!.

Chris
Old 09-19-2011, 05:29 PM
FormerVendor

i knew i should have chosen my words more carefully. lol I know a rear mount setup can make big power. (look at LMR's TT red Zo6 that was RCC's old car or Paul Majors vette)

LOL, No worry's. I kid, I kid!

Chris
Old 09-19-2011, 05:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chris@hps
The key in doing a rearmount and making it spool without alot of lag is the exhaust piping diameter and the correct turbo size. The people that say rearmounts are **** are the ones who don't have a clue about them or how they need to be setup. They have there place. I would do it , and never look back, except in the rear view mirror to see your opponent getting further and further behind you!.

Chris
Hey thanks for your advice, Chris. I know I am running the risk of lag without the right setup, but I will be having some help from pretty experienced people so hopefully I'll be lagless as possible lol.
Do you have any advice on what size turbo/piping to run?
Old 09-19-2011, 05:57 PM
Teching In

ya they have their place but they will never be as efficient as a front mount.

Quick Reply: Considering doing a rear mount on my stock LS1. Opinions?