Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smoke on startup, heads pulled, pics taken, thoughts needed.

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 12:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Smoke on startup, heads pulled, pics taken, thoughts needed.

A little back story - car began smoking when upon start up a few weeks ago, getting worse over time and eventually smoking a little just idling. Thinking it might be valve guides I pulled my heads today so I can take them to the shop to get a valve job, checked for straightness, new valve guides and etc; basically all the stuff I probably should have done before bolting them on.
I've put maybe 500 miles on them and they are covered with tons of crusty black stuff. If it were a little I'd say no big deal, but this seems like a lot. Any thoughts on what it is or why so much? While the heads are off I'd like to fix whatever the problem might be (unless it turns out to be leaky valve guides after all).
Rather than reposting them all, here are the pics in another thread, - https://ls1tech.com/forums/15433050-post235.html
Thanks for any input.
Old 09-26-2011, 03:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

What did your valve seals look like? Where they replaced when you put the heads on the first time?

I had the exact same problem and it ended up being I didn't have enough retainer to seal clearance and the retainer beat the seal to death.

Mine started just like yours and got progressively worse and would smoke at idle and after a WOT run when the engine RPM's where coming back down.

Those pics do like it was using oil. How much oil where you using?