Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

clutch engaging near the floor

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 06:38 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch engaging near the floor

2001 camaro ss m6, cam, act hd clutch, new flywheel the Clutch pedal feels a little spongy and it engauges just of the floor,like 1\4 or 1/2 inch from the floor. I have to make sure the the pedal is all the way on the floor or it will not go in gear.

I have replaced the slave and master and throw out bearing. Car drives fines but I'm worried about it engaging that low. Cause it varys , sometimes it would engauge high and sometimes right off the floor. But the past 3 days it has been right off the floor, any ideas would be great. When I got it back after replacing the slave again. The pedal had some play in it but the mech told me to drive it that the air would work itself out and 3 weeks later its doing what it is doing now.

So I'm at a lost for words I don't get on it the car at all but I'm afraid if I try I might grind the gears or something. Iam takeing it back to the monday but just wanted to no if u guys have any ideas

Last edited by NowlinX22; 09-30-2011 at 07:16 AM.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:41 AM
Teching In

Also car now has 57,000 miles on it and the clutch has about 4,000 miles on it or so and don't think it has any shims with it, but any help would be great

Last edited by NowlinX22; 09-30-2011 at 07:15 AM.
Old 09-30-2011, 08:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

Sounds like you still have air trapped in the system.
Old 09-30-2011, 08:54 AM
Teching In

see thats what im thinking, im going to bleed it this afternoon, traditional bleed, and if that does not fix it then iam going to take it back to him, and let him figure it out.
Old 09-30-2011, 09:29 AM
FormerVendor

If the traditional bleed doesn't help give vacuum bleeding a try. Either way, it sounds like air in the system and one of these will hopefully help solve your issue.
Old 09-30-2011, 09:45 AM
Teching In

im Not to sure about the vaccum bleeding, i afraid i might flip the seal in the slave or something, is there a proper thread on how to vaccum the system, i have a tool that is just like to the mity vac, but i had a problem before and it ended up being the new slave i put in,ended up being falty, so we put another slave in and 3 weeks later it is doing this. it did not do it untill i drove the car to my home town and back, roufly 1200 mile round trip. but i hoping that is what it is, and hopefully its not the act hd clutch thats in it, frekin thing is always chattering,( posted that concertin in my other post any info on that would be great as well.)
Old 09-30-2011, 10:05 AM
FormerVendor

Just don't apply more than 12-15hg/mm of vacuum and it should be fine. There is a sticky for this and other related issues at the top of this forum. Take a look and let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks,
Old 09-30-2011, 04:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Location: Fairfax County, VA (You know you're here when you see the bad roads)

Originally Posted by NowlinX22
im Not to sure about the vaccum bleeding, i afraid i might flip the seal in the slave or something, is there a proper thread on how to vaccum the system, i have a tool that is just like to the mity vac, but i had a problem before and it ended up being the new slave i put in,ended up being falty, so we put another slave in and 3 weeks later it is doing this. it did not do it untill i drove the car to my home town and back, roufly 1200 mile round trip. but i hoping that is what it is, and hopefully its not the act hd clutch thats in it, frekin thing is always chattering,( posted that concertin in my other post any info on that would be great as well.)
-Crack the slave bleeder vavle and attach your vacuum hose
-Remove the master cylinder resvoir cap
-start your vacuum
-be sure to add fluid from the top as you bleed.
-Youre done when either A) you dont see any bubbles and only clean fluid comes out the slave end with the vacuum....or B) just run through the whole bottle of fresh stuff for good measure.
-Close the bleeder, top off and close the master
Old 10-02-2011, 01:21 PM
Teching In

so today, i bled the whole system, i only got a couple of bubbles. i bled it from the top with a mini vac at 10hg, and i bled it from the slave as well.

praying that it would work..... nothing still doing the same thing, engaging right of the floor and i mean 1/8inch of the floor. i have to bury the clutch pedal to the floor so the car will

(1) go in gear and (2) so the freaking thing will stop moving forwards when trying to put it in gear.

so yet again im at lost for words and out of options. so im taking the car back to the shop tomorrow so they can try and figure out what the problem is. Does any 1 no were i can find a good clutch, that does not shake the whole freaking car when starting. i was looking at a new ls7 clutch with a new flywheel, slave and an adj master cylinder with a new still braided line. any help would be great at this point, like i said earlier i don't plan on take the to much over 400hp
Old 10-02-2011, 05:18 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it moving forward while putting it in gear then the clutch is not disengaging.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:03 AM
FormerVendor

Well, unfortunately, If the car is creeping with the pedal depressed then the clutch isn't releasing. So, either you have a geometry issue with the parts or you have a weak/failing slave or master.
Old 10-05-2011, 07:39 PM
On The Tree

tick adjustable master fixed all my problems.I can shift that car at 7000rpm and it goes in all gears like butter.my it set at the top of the pedal.
Old 10-06-2011, 06:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

Location: Fairfax County, VA (You know you're here when you see the bad roads)

Originally Posted by SPEC-01
Well, unfortunately, If the car is creeping with the pedal depressed then the clutch isn't releasing. So, either you have a geometry issue with the parts or you have a weak/failing slave or master.
Agreed,
It's almost certainly a hydraulic issue. Sucks there is no way to replace the slave without pulling the tranny back. When you fix it, make sure you replace the slave and master together. In my experience when one goes the other isnt far behind.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:20 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did they lock tite the pressure plate bolts?

Quick Reply: clutch engaging near the floor