Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing Alternator find years of crud to clean

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 05:01 PM
cpo
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Replacing Alternator find years of crud to clean

Swapping out the factory '98 alternator with the bigger KG3 145 amp unit. Get the front end jacked up and slide in the jack stands. During and especially after pulling the stock unit out I am greeted with years worth of thick sludge and grim build-up from the power steering unit. I believe in doing things right, so I've been cleaning this crap up for hours while laying on my back. Even pulled the alt. bracket assembly out to get at all the crud.

Maybe one day a mod or upgrade project will actually go smoothly without any side work involved......if this is even possible.

<End Rant>
Old 10-04-2011, 08:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im Totally degreasing the underside of my car while the motor, tranny and rearend is out. ive got everything separated. I have gone through almost a full pale of purple power and im still not done.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you believe in doing things right you should replace your power steering pump as well. The leaking fluid is what probably took out your alternator in the first place and it will do it again to your new alternator if not taken care of.
Old 10-05-2011, 06:27 PM
cpo
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by lt1pwr1
If you believe in doing things right you should replace your power steering pump as well. The leaking fluid is what probably took out your alternator in the first place and it will do it again to your new alternator if not taken care of.
I'm pretty sure the leak had actually been pushing through the reservoir cap from over-filling by the previous owner. That has been corrected, so I'm confident it is no longer leaking. I did find two areas of coolant seepage on the water pump, so that will be coming out soon.
Old 10-05-2011, 06:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know what you mean.....the simplest of jobs can turn into an all day affair. By the way, I love the look of your car, in your sig!
Old 10-05-2011, 11:14 PM
cpo
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 98blueSS420
I know what you mean.....the simplest of jobs can turn into an all day affair. By the way, I love the look of your car, in your sig!
Thanks, rock on.

Quick Reply: Replacing Alternator find years of crud to clean