Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 Firebird V6 to LS Conversion, HELP plz

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 11:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 98 Firebird V6 to LS Conversion, HELP plz

Are there any threads that deal with this? I have a 1998 Firebird V6 with a 5 speed manual, and i would like to convert it to a LS1 or LS2 with the T-56 6 speed manual.
Does anyone have any kind of advice as to how to do this? is the difference with a conversion from the 3800 much different to a LS1 or LS2? Or are both motors about the same. As i have a friend that might give me his Truck LS2 engine. I believe its called a L98?
Also, how do u convert the instrument cluster? is there a thread on that as well? or is it just a straight swap between the v6 n v8 clusters?

Thanks for your help and advice
Old 10-04-2011, 11:47 PM
10 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

get the computer and harness with it that is the most important thing. as far as instrument cluster just get find all the parts you need off a donor car.

However if this build is going to end up costing you around 5k your better off just buying a LS vehicle
Old 10-04-2011, 11:47 PM
Staging Lane

LS1Tech 10 Year

If your dead set on doing a conversion, i'd go with the LS2. that being said, it's a lot of work. You'd really probably be better off buying a new car or find a wrecked "donor" car. Off hand, you'd have to switch the Engine, PCM, K-member, and transmission. Other things you might need to change would be: rear end, shocks and struts, and maybe the driveshaft. Good luck whatever you choose.
Old 10-04-2011, 11:50 PM
Teching In

hmm.... i can find a cheap donor car round here, thank god for craigs list Ok, assuming i get a donor car, its better on going with a ls2 over a ls1? is there alot of work into making a ls2 work in it over a ls1?