Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Need suspension school

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 10:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need suspension school

ok I have a 1998 TA that is making 480 to the wheels. 6 speed through a steel driveshaft to an MWC 9" with 4.11gears with a billet clutch posi. Has 275/60/15 MT et Street radials. Bone stock suspension up front. MWC torque arm and LCA. Spohn panhard and anti-roll bar. QA1 rear shocks that I got used. Now when I go to the strip with the tires @ 15psi I am either still blowing the tires off or launching so low to get it to hook it is bogging off the line. Consistent 1.9x 60 foots which I think is horrible. I plan on redoing the entire suspension this winter with new upper and lower control arms in the front along with a new K-member. Where I need help is the actual suspension components or whatever it is going to take to get this thing to transfer the weight like it should and hook and get down the track. I also plan to add spray this winter with a 150 shot off the line so I need it to work. Somebody please educate me. Thanks

D.J.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:04 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

The uppers won't really save you any weight, but our K-Member and A-Arms will shave a good amount of weight off the nose. How serious are you about making this into a drag racing machine? Or are your plans to keep it street/strip?
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 10-10-2011, 01:38 PM
TECH Resident

It will be street strip but want it to perform at the strip like it should. It is lucky to see a couple thousand miles a year
Old 10-10-2011, 02:37 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Well I normally steer street/strip guys away from our Extreme Torque Arm, but it sounds like it would be something you would love. It will dramatically change your instant center and help you take advantage of the QA1s you have out back.

I need to know how you launch the car now, how the body, suspension, and tire work with your combo. What do you plan to do in the future with it? This TA should really be used on 1.50 and quicker cars. We've seen people shave off a good amount of time from their short times by installing one but it's all about the combination.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 10-10-2011, 07:44 PM
Staging Lane

hey kevin do you guys offer a tunnel mount torque arm, I understand the trans mounted ones are not as good, any input???

your web site makes my bank account beg for mercy
Old 10-11-2011, 08:26 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by popethe5th
hey kevin do you guys offer a tunnel mount torque arm, I understand the trans mounted ones are not as good, any input???

your web site makes my bank account beg for mercy
We don't build any torque arms that mount to the driveshaft tunnel, we feel that the floorboards have too thin guage sheet metal to be mounting a torque arm there. It is definitely not a good idea to keep the torque arm mounted to the transmission but we do build torque arm relocation crossmembers that will actually allow you to bolt the torque arm to the crossmember.

We also build short style torque arms but rather then mount them to the flimsy thin guage floorboards we use a crossbrace that mounts in between the subframe connectors. Mounting the torque arm this way insures that it is solidly mounted so there won't be any issues down the road with it.

Here are some links to our torque arm products:

Full length adjustable torque arm (TA001)
Torque arm relocation crossmember (TCC007)
Trak pak (TPU001)
Xtreme torque arm (XTA001)

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 10-11-2011, 03:35 PM
TECH Resident

I already have a short torque arm from MWC
Old 01-11-2012, 08:54 PM
TECH Resident

anybody else have any input for the front end suspension on this thing?

Quick Reply: Need suspension school