Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

NEED DIAGNOSIS HELP ASAP!! clutch pedal goes almost to the floor :(

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 11:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default NEED DIAGNOSIS HELP ASAP!! clutch pedal goes almost to the floor :(

So i just got back from iraq last week and started driving my 01 SS on sunday. It only had about 500 miles put on it in the last year while i was away by my mom. Anyway, today i get in and pull out of the drive way and notice the clutch is a lot lighter than usual and doesn't disengage the clutch until about 2 inches from the floor. 2 minutes down the road it grinds going into 2nd, then 3rd, then I turn around and head home. There are no leaks and the clutch fluid is full (dirty as hell, but full). does this sound like master cylinder, slave cylinder or what? how can i isolate each to find out what component has headed south? I need to get this fixed TODAY as i have a lot of "welcome home" parties to go to...
Old 10-12-2011, 01:49 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by jimmyducati
So i just got back from iraq last week and started driving my 01 SS on sunday. It only had about 500 miles put on it in the last year while i was away by my mom. Anyway, today i get in and pull out of the drive way and notice the clutch is a lot lighter than usual and doesn't disengage the clutch until about 2 inches from the floor. 2 minutes down the road it grinds going into 2nd, then 3rd, then I turn around and head home. There are no leaks and the clutch fluid is full (dirty as hell, but full). does this sound like master cylinder, slave cylinder or what? how can i isolate each to find out what component has headed south? I need to get this fixed TODAY as i have a lot of "welcome home" parties to go to...
First off congratulations on your safe return. I'd recommend starting with flushing the hydraulic fluid to see if that helps. Ideally the whole system, but atleaset a turkey baster to suck out the crap in the master. A car that has sat for a long time could have caused the seals in the hydraulics to not work as well, good luck.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:36 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just to piggey back on the above statement, it may take you 3-5 times of flushing using the turkey baster method to clear the system.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

THANK YOU for your service and welcome home.
Old 10-19-2011, 02:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

so i tried vacuum bleeding it today with no luck. followed the instructions in one of the stickies here and after about an hour of pumping the clutch still had no improvement. The clutch barely starts engaging when the pedal hits the floor, and no air comes out with the mity vac, simply holds the vacuum pressure and pulls about an inch of fluid up into the line. Im considering just replacing the slave and master at this point, i think its probably about due for replacement anyway and since the car has essentially been sitting for the past year it probably wouldn't hurt to flush the system. what else should i replace (pilot bearing/throw out bearing)? is there a comprehensive list out there somewhere?
Old 10-19-2011, 04:43 PM
11 Second Club

Sounds like the master cylinder to me.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sladester2
Sounds like the master cylinder to me.
X 2. Definitely sounds like it

Quick Reply: NEED DIAGNOSIS HELP ASAP!! clutch pedal goes almost to the floor :(