Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Tinted Tail Lights (CA) ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 11:36 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tinted Tail Lights (CA) ?

I was wondering if anyone knew the laws that apply to having tinted tail lights in the state of California or if anyone has gotten pulled over/received a ticket for having them... I am looking into getting these covers for my tail lights:

http://www.lamin-x.com/Chevy-Camaro-...rs-p/ch230.htm

^ I am looking to get the 17% "smoke" tint covers... Just wondering if that would get me pulled over or not. If tint is not illegal then hell, I may end up just going with the 30% "charcoal" for an even better look.

Any input would help.

-Marcus
Old 10-18-2011, 01:56 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's illegal. Just depends on whether or not the cop wants to pull you over. I put on some black covers on my tail lights and got pulled over the first drive out with them on. If you are going to do it regardless, the lighter the better
Old 10-18-2011, 02:04 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 01SuperSport
It's illegal. Just depends on whether or not the cop wants to pull you over. I put on some black covers on my tail lights and got pulled over the first drive out with them on. If you are going to do it regardless, the lighter the better
Ahh. Yea I guess I'll just go with the lighter tint then. The cops in my city really have nothing better to do but pull people over.

Thanks.
Old 10-18-2011, 02:50 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Read CVC 24603 and all the subsections and 24953 and all subsections, I think they may help you decide.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:24 AM
Launching!

Its all illegal. We do them all the time either way. As long as they are not to dark you should be ok. Either way its a fix it ticket so thats why we have a lot of people that come to us to get them tinted. You just peel it off when u get busted.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:47 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Bad Penny
Read CVC 24603 and all the subsections and 24953 and all subsections, I think they may help you decide.
Ahh this helps alot... although I still plan on getting them tinted/getting tinted covers haha.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The law states that taillights must be red in color and visible from 1000 feet. I got a ticket for tinted tailights, and fought it, stating that the officer never verified that he could see them from 1000 feet, and that they were still red
Old 10-18-2011, 06:26 PM
Teching In

If you use the CVC wording in court you have a better chance of winning, anytime you're cited for anything read and understand the CVC so you are prepared...just a little friendly advice
Old 10-18-2011, 06:46 PM

i used the spray tint for my stock tail lights and i never have gotten pulled over, but i have iowa plates...
Old 10-18-2011, 09:36 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by KILLER-LS1
The law states that taillights must be red in color and visible from 1000 feet. I got a ticket for tinted tailights, and fought it, stating that the officer never verified that he could see them from 1000 feet, and that they were still red
How'd that go lol?

Originally Posted by Bad Penny
If you use the CVC wording in court you have a better chance of winning, anytime you're cited for anything read and understand the CVC so you are prepared...just a little friendly advice
Yea I was just taking a look at them earlier, I will definitely remember them for any trouble I get into in the future hah...

Thanks!
Old 10-18-2011, 11:05 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I got pulled over for blacked out tail lights a few months ago. CHP let me slide cuz I told him they were only covers that could be removed. He said its a $500 ticket. Anything that isn't red and covers over a certain square inches of tail light is illegal. DMV might have the details. U need a certain amount of red showing, also tail lights need to be reflective wether u can see them light up from a certain amount of feet or not. That's for safety in the dark if you're on the side of the road. I had the blackouts for like 3yrs but they're writing people up for it more lately, more $.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:33 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by C5natie
I got pulled over for blacked out tail lights a few months ago. CHP let me slide cuz I told him they were only covers that could be removed. He said its a $500 ticket. Anything that isn't red and covers over a certain square inches of tail light is illegal. DMV might have the details. U need a certain amount of red showing, also tail lights need to be reflective wether u can see them light up from a certain amount of feet or not. That's for safety in the dark if you're on the side of the road. I had the blackouts for like 3yrs but they're writing people up for it more lately, more $.
Holy hell $500 !? That's pretty hefty for something that's pretty minor... I mean sure it sacrifices some safety but that's minuscule compared to say a turbo lol.
Old 10-19-2011, 01:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

from what a chp officer told me, the time I got a fix it ticket for having the tinted tailight covers is that, You can have it tinted, as long as theres red reflecting still, that the car behind is able to see red.
Old 10-19-2011, 01:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Once I got pulled over for tinted taillights lmao. And my taillights are stock. I told him that they were like that from factory and he said "oh I thought u tinted it with squares lol. This was in my GTA.
Old 10-19-2011, 02:51 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by mannyman84
Once I got pulled over for tinted taillights lmao. And my taillights are stock. I told him that they were like that from factory and he said "oh I thought u tinted it with squares lol. This was in my GTA.
What a moron lol.

Originally Posted by Mr.z/28
from what a chp officer told me, the time I got a fix it ticket for having the tinted tailight covers is that, You can have it tinted, as long as theres red reflecting still, that the car behind is able to see red.

I've now read that it has to be visible from 300ft. supposedly... i HIGHLY doubt that 100% of the cops out on the road now the exact laws fro tinted tail lights, just depends on if you get a nice cop I guess. Oh well! I'm going to tint them regardless hah.
Old 10-19-2011, 04:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by need2speed94
How'd that go lol?
I won
Old 10-19-2011, 05:52 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by KILLER-LS1
I won

Right on! Hahaa
Old 10-20-2011, 12:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I just spotted a clean black 96-97 lt1 ws6 or ws6 clone with totally black tail lights. It is illegal, but a lot of of people get away with it. I think if your car is moded; cam,loud exhaust, then there is a better chance you will be busted for the tail lights. A stock car that does not attract so much attention will have a better chance of not being busted; but it is only a matter of time. I wonder if someone could get off if they rear end you by saying your tail lights are illegal.
Old 10-20-2011, 01:51 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by henry172
I just spotted a clean black 96-97 lt1 ws6 or ws6 clone with totally black tail lights. It is illegal, but a lot of of people get away with it. I think if your car is moded; cam,loud exhaust, then there is a better chance you will be busted for the tail lights. A stock car that does not attract so much attention will have a better chance of not being busted; but it is only a matter of time. I wonder if someone could get off if they rear end you by saying your tail lights are illegal.
Yea I love the look of the 4th gens with blacked out/smoked tail lights. And I'm sure they could plead that and have a good chance of winning :/
Old 10-20-2011, 03:54 PM
Teching In

Default Tinted Taillights

The California Administrative Code also deals with "light emitting" levels and has DOT requirements listed. This code can be cited by any agency in California using enabling sections in the Vehicle Code.

Basically, any modification from stock is in violation when citing through the Cal Admin Code, via the CVC.

It depends how knowledgeable the officer is and if he/she doesn't has anything better to do.

Quick Reply: Tinted Tail Lights (CA) ?