Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

what causes a hard clutch pedal

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 09:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Default what causes a hard clutch pedal

Trying to figure out if it just needs to be bled more (or differently) or if I have to replace the master cylinder. With the slave off the trans, the clutch pedal is just stiff, has like 1" of movement total. pedal stays up, but only goes down about 1" and that's with the slave disconnected from the trans.

this is a lt1 t56 btw. Also, I tried bleeding it per manual and I don't get air bubbles at all coming up through the master cylinder.

Any thoughts?
Old 10-19-2011, 09:57 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the pedal is rock-solid and will not depress to the floor I would check the quick connect that resides on the line between the slave and master. The stiff pedal is resulting from a lack of fluid transfer between these cylinders.
Old 10-19-2011, 10:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the quick response Jeremy. So the fact that I push in the slave and see fluid rising in the master, you think it could still be an issue between the master and slave? i can disconnect the line and led it just gravity bleed maybe to make sure it flushes.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:03 AM
FormerVendor

So you are seeing fluid flow up the line when the bearing is compressed but not down the line when the pedal is depressed?
Old 10-19-2011, 11:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Right, with the slave disconnected from the trans, I push on it and watch the reservoir rise. I then close the reservoir and pump the slave (while keeping it below the master and the piston pointing down). I get no bubbles in the reservoir. I try to push the clutch pedal and it's hard as a rock, even with the slave disconnected from the trans.
Old 10-19-2011, 01:02 PM
FormerVendor

That is an odd problem. I would still be suspect of the quick-connect. Maybe something is being pushed into the orifice when the pedal is pressed and being pushed out of the way when the slave is compressing fluid back to the reservoir.
Old 10-19-2011, 02:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

i just took it all apart outside the car. Flushed the lines. Bled the master cylinder, action was fine. hooked up the slave and proceeded to bench bleed it all together (reservoir on top, mc in the middle and the slave the lowest) bleeds fine. After bleed, check action on MC and goes in and out smoothly a few times and then becomes rock hard.

odd , eh?
Old 10-19-2011, 04:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think something is up with the MC. I took the reservoir off completely and had just the MC and slave connected. Tried to push MC and no go. I pushed the slave, and it was able to force fluid back to the MC. The MC cannot for whatever reason push fluid down.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

well this won't be good for the next guy searching, but I gave up and took this MC/slave out and replaced it with a backup I had. I'm back in business.

Would really like to know why this one crapped out like it did, but oh well.

Thanks for your assistance Jeremy ! I'm running a Spec 2 that's kevlar in this setup btw.
Old 10-20-2011, 02:28 PM
FormerVendor

I agree that the must be an issue with the Master (or something inhibiting the fluid flow as it moves down-stream). Unfortunately it is hard to know for sure. You could always crack that master opon and see what you find! Let me know if you need anything else!
Old 10-20-2011, 03:37 PM
TECH Addict

don't mean to hijack but is it possible for something to be messed up in the slave and restricting flow?

when I did my 6 speed swap I tried 2 known working factory masters and neither would disengage my cheap advance auto stock replacement clutch, so I bought a tick which worked but had a crazy stiff pedal. the clutch blew up after 5k miles so I figured that was the problem all along, and with the new clutch ended up with the same issue. it works but is way stiffer than I feel it should be. any thoughts?
Old 10-20-2011, 03:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

the slave would expand on it's own once i pushed it in, so I don't think it was the slave. I took the quick connect off and flushed it and fluid flowed through normally. As I was bleeding it and as the air got out of the system, the master got completely hard, could not push in at all. If there was air the system, I was able to push it. so i just gave up and replaced it all from a known working backup. It's a bitch doing that damn u bolt and that's why I was trying to fix it first, just hate to spend all that time to get it off.

Quick Reply: what causes a hard clutch pedal