View Full Version : Marines - no more rolled sleeves

VinR1
10-19-2011, 11:04 PM
great...anyone want to buy a half dozen desert blouses, medium reg, with cut/rolled/sewn sleeves?

Z06PSI
10-20-2011, 01:39 AM
When does that start?

VinR1
10-20-2011, 07:43 AM
Monday

http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/mobile/index.php?storyUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.marinetimes.co m%2Fnews%2F2011%2F10%2Fmarine-rolled-sleeves-policy-uniform-change-101911w%2F

99FormulaM6
10-20-2011, 09:25 AM
Wow, that is crazy.

ANTICOP RAM AIR
10-20-2011, 09:31 AM
I was Army. They made us quit that shit 8 years ago. It sucked. We would see the Marines on Ft Hood with their sleeves rolled. It was 100+ degrees outside so we were envious.

KevinR
10-20-2011, 09:37 AM
That sucks. I wonder why they are not allowing it anymore.

jsteele90
10-20-2011, 09:57 AM
well one less thing to worry about!

triche
10-20-2011, 12:11 PM
Isnt that some bs......figures it comes out now....

Swiat34
10-20-2011, 01:47 PM
Hey Vin, how much you wanting for your blouses?

VinR1
10-20-2011, 07:56 PM
Lemme see how many I still have (the half-dozen was written in anger). I know I have one med reg and one small long that are cut...the others, I think I can fix. Hows $20ea?

hawk584
10-20-2011, 08:04 PM
That sucks. I wonder why they are not allowing it anymore.

my guess would be tattoos

LS1CALIBOY
10-22-2011, 07:34 AM
This shit sucks, I take pride in having freshly rolled sleeves. It is one of those things that still sets us apart. Seems like the standards just keep dropping and before you know it we'll be seeing Marines in Wal-Mart wearing Cammies...

VinR1
10-22-2011, 08:50 AM
...and berets. F*ck that

96WS6guy
10-22-2011, 10:48 AM
Sounds like you guys got one of our officers or senior NCO's making uniform decisions for you. Sorry guys!

Duffster
10-22-2011, 12:26 PM
practical thinking and common sense have gone way-side in our military recently. it'll come back around 10-15 years for them again.

Swiat34
10-22-2011, 03:05 PM
Around the WWII era the Corps experimented with berets...and canned the idea. Vin I'll pm you.

bamalt1
10-23-2011, 03:21 AM
That sucks. The Marine blouses look way better with the sleeves rolled. They just don't look like they were designed to be worn down IMO.

Swiat34
10-23-2011, 03:26 PM
Tattoos can't be the reason, the new regs state that a tattoo can't be visible in PT gear. So if it's hidden by a t-shirt, it would be hidden by rolled sleeves. They dd that after the start of OIF stating it's a "combat readiness" kind of thing. Now if I was company commander my first order would be: "Uniform of the day is Boots and Utes, covers optional!" Hmm...maybe I should go Mustang...

Packy
10-29-2011, 05:59 PM
I think it is awesome! One less thing to do.

redrocketSS
10-31-2011, 07:38 AM
I think its BS, were slowly becoming more and more like the ARMY

Swiat34
10-31-2011, 07:57 PM
I lump those that think it's a good idea with those same lazy MFers that were happy about the full-time brown boot change because now they don't have to polish AND that are glad the new utilities come with orders NOT to starch and iron. The new Corps is a sloppy Corps indeed.

VinR1
11-01-2011, 12:09 AM
Roger that! Our uniforms are what set us apart from the other branches (besides the obvious ass kicking ability)... not anymore

Tobias05
11-01-2011, 11:24 AM
...before you know it we'll be seeing Marines in Wal-Mart wearing Cammies...

haha. this nasty college student will just have to crescent kick that Marine across the face.

...time to dump the seabag and unroll all my sleeves.

HoLLo
11-03-2011, 11:56 PM
Does this cover the Navy too? Im AF and that sounds even radical to me. I know what its like on a hot ass day, rolled up sleeves are nice. Were yall allowed to have cut and sewn your sleeves? I want to do that to a few of my uniforms.

99FormulaM6
11-04-2011, 06:50 AM
Has nothing to do with the Navy, we can still roll ours.

VinR1
11-04-2011, 01:48 PM
No, technically we're not allowed to cut our sleeves before rolling them...

However, some of us (not bragging, just being honest) have big arms... I guess all the pullups. My torso fits in a small blouse comfortably but even a large with rolled sleeves cuts off the circulation to my hands. I cut mine at the elbow and roll them twice...and keep extras with full sleeves in case we go out to the field

dr_whigham
11-06-2011, 01:38 AM
Wow. I got out in 05 with full sleeve tattoos. I tried to go back in the reserves just to preserve rank in 07 and got5 denied b/c of it!

Now THIS?

Gentlemen, THIS is what happens when your Commandant comes from the wing.

Slowtherland
11-06-2011, 01:19 AM
haaa yeahhh swinging with the wing

dtsti
11-06-2011, 01:29 AM
I love sleeves down. I think it is cooler in the summer with them down. Just my opinion though.

dr_whigham
11-06-2011, 02:40 AM
Pretty soon you'll be able to walk around with your hands in your pockets too..... :argh:

:scream: "Come here, ass!"

dtsti
11-06-2011, 02:43 AM
Pretty soon you'll be able to walk around with your hands in your pockets too.....
Not on my watch.

Swiat34
11-06-2011, 10:15 AM
Pockets are there for a reason but only to be used while standing and never while walking.

slowpoke96z28
11-09-2011, 01:13 AM
Has nothing to do with the Navy, we can still roll ours.

if you're fmf and authorized mccuu's it does.

fwiw, the wing has just gone too far. almost unrecognizable from division. dr_wigham, we cant just blame the wing and expect them to fix it though. it was under a division or group commandant the wing was allowed to soften to the point it has. we LET them become soft. its kind of like the step child phenomenon. we neglected them (at least i know i and most division Marines around me did), and now they are 18 and totally unequipped for the responsibilities ahead. every wing commander should have to XO in a division commad before getting a wing to command. it would be right at the best point in their career to let them see the basics of the corps they hadn't seen in years, maybe even since TBS. they then carry some good "division funk" (pun intended) to the wing and maybe a little trickles down.

99FormulaM6
11-09-2011, 06:44 AM
if you're fmf and authorized mccuu's it does.

fwiw, the wing has just gone too far. almost unrecognizable from division. dr_wigham, we cant just blame the wing and expect them to fix it though. it was under a division or group commandant the wing was allowed to soften to the point it has. we LET them become soft. its kind of like the step child phenomenon. we neglected them (at least i know i and most division Marines around me did), and now they are 18 and totally unequipped for the responsibilities ahead. every wing commander should have to XO in a division commad before getting a wing to command. it would be right at the best point in their career to let them see the basics of the corps they hadn't seen in years, maybe even since TBS. they then carry some good "division funk" (pun intended) to the wing and maybe a little trickles down.

If you are FMF and elect to wear Marine uniforms then you follow Marine regs. It still has nothing to do with the Navy. If you are FMF and don't elect to wear their uniforms, you could roll up your NWUs all day. Im sure someone would say something to you though.

BLKLS1240SX
11-12-2011, 05:50 AM
general is from a wing thats why...I like my rolled sleeves its a 85 year around dam near here in oki

Dubs99z28
03-16-2013, 04:03 AM
The CMC stop the rolling of sleeves because of "skin cancer". No joke that's what the Marine corps times is saying, and all the guys I still talk to at Camp Lejeune and quantico.
dr. Whigham where did you get your CAR?

Morphine
03-16-2013, 12:41 PM
That still doesn't stop your neck, scalp and hands from getting a nice tan. Even though we can still roll our sleeves I hardly ever see anyone do it. I personally think its too much of a hassle. Every time I've seen marines with rolled sleeves in their desert uniform they have a tendency to stand out.

dr_whigham
03-16-2013, 02:01 PM
I bought it from a guy in Dallas Texas....

Car or CAR? LMAO!!

Iraq.

True story: I actually got a PM several months back where some guy tried to say my CAR was bullshit b/c I didn't have a "Campaign Medal" so I quickly had to proceed to tell him "Young devil, back when the war KICKED OFF there was no campaign medal. You got what's called the GWOTE, or Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary.... The Iraqi Campaign Medal didn't come out until after April 2005"

Just had to share.

Anyways, here's to wishing General Mattis was Commandant. :cheers:

Dubs99z28
03-16-2013, 03:47 PM
Lmao
Ok I was just wondering. That's some good knowledge about the campaign medal. Makes sense just didn't realize it took that long to come out haha.

I'll cheers to that :cheers:

99FormulaM6
03-16-2013, 07:18 PM
Yea, you can 'trade' in your GWOTE for the ICM if you want and then re-earn a GWOTE if you ever meet the eligibility again.

dr_whigham
03-16-2013, 07:32 PM
Not what I was told. I was told I could trade it for the campaign medal, but that's it. There was no more awarding of the GWOTE after April 15th 2005.

Hardcoresoldier
03-16-2013, 08:28 PM
Not what I was told. I was told I could trade it for the campaign medal, but that's it. There was no more awarding of the GWOTE after April 15th 2005.

The GWOTEM awarding has ended. If you have 1 deployment to Iraq during that timeframe, you can have either the GWOTEM or ICM. If you have 2, you can have both. I have the GWOTEM, ICM, and ACM due to my 2x trips to each.

StoleIt
03-17-2013, 02:46 PM
I for one, I am really glad the military keeps awards and decs so simple.

99FormulaM6
03-17-2013, 05:12 PM

The GWOTEM awarding has ended. If you have 1 deployment to Iraq during that timeframe, you can have either the GWOTEM or ICM. If you have 2, you can have both. I have the GWOTEM, ICM, and ACM due to my 2x trips to each.

yep, right from the Navy Awards website:

ICM/ACM Trade-in Policy

Personnel/Admin offices having service members electing to trade-in a previously awarded GWOTEM for the ICM/ACM shall have the member sign the below Page 13 entry: (Substitute Afghanistan Campaign Medal for Iraq Campaign Medal, as appropriate)

"I understand that I was assigned within the Area of Eligibility for the Iraq Campaign Medal (ICM) during the period (start day month year to end day month year) for which I was authorized the Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal (GWOTEM). I further understand that per NAVADMIN 085/05, I may elect to either wear the GWOTEM or the ICM. I elect to wear the ICM. I understand that once the ICM is accepted, I cannot change this option and I am no longer eligible for and must remove the GWOTEM, unless earned in a subsequent qualifying period.

roninsonic
03-20-2013, 05:54 AM
AFAIK, Fifth and Sixth fleet ops still qualify for the GWOT-E

Also... To all the guys saying rolled sleeves is cooler... Try this: Unbutton the cuff of your sleeve, and tuck it INSIDE your sleeve. You'll notice a nice breeze inside your top, sweat will evaporate... It's like wearing a mini AC unit. Hell, I'm ALLOWED to roll my sleeves and never do it.