Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need help bad

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 02:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help bad

lemme start off by sayin i just put an ls1 out of a 99 ss with 80k miles on it in my 01 z28 cuz i blew the motor. so i got an 01 z28 a4 with no mods just punched out cats

now for the past 3 days i decided since i haven't been driving it for 3 months i wanted to find out the shift points. at 65 i put it in 2nd gear and eased it to the floor and the speedometer started jumping from like 65 to 85 to 70 and kept doing it. then yesterday it started doin it while i was regular driving. so my 1st thought was speed sensor so i went and bought one and replaced it and reset the computer. fixed the speedometer jumpin.

but see i put it in 1st gear and put it all the way to the floor and when it goes to shift into 2nd. service engine light pops on then off then on then off and the car bogs down. i can't get on my car without it doing it now.

i seen my voltmeter on my dash go down and took it to autozone and had them test the alternator and the voltage regulator went out so i know i have to replace the alternator but i really dont think the alternator would cause that kinda problem.

i need some kinda input, possibilities or something. i just got my car up running and after 2 weeks of it running, im getting these problems and its irritating. any advice is helpful.
Old 10-22-2011, 03:50 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mrmckeehan
lemme start off by sayin i just put an ls1 out of a 99 ss with 80k miles on it in my 01 z28 cuz i blew the motor. so i got an 01 z28 a4 with no mods just punched out cats

now for the past 3 days i decided since i haven't been driving it for 3 months i wanted to find out the shift points. at 65 i put it in 2nd gear and eased it to the floor and the speedometer started jumping from like 65 to 85 to 70 and kept doing it. then yesterday it started doin it while i was regular driving. so my 1st thought was speed sensor so i went and bought one and replaced it and reset the computer. fixed the speedometer jumpin.

but see i put it in 1st gear and put it all the way to the floor and when it goes to shift into 2nd. service engine light pops on then off then on then off and the car bogs down. i can't get on my car without it doing it now.

i seen my voltmeter on my dash go down and took it to autozone and had them test the alternator and the voltage regulator went out so i know i have to replace the alternator but i really dont think the alternator would cause that kinda problem.

i need some kinda input, possibilities or something. i just got my car up running and after 2 weeks of it running, im getting these problems and its irritating. any advice is helpful.
What codes did it throw?

Is there a certain speed that your car cannot get past? Maybe its in "reduced power" mode.
Old 10-22-2011, 05:01 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would certainly replace the altenator first and then read the codes.
Old 10-22-2011, 06:27 PM
Teching In

service engine light only pops on when i get on it and bogs down then goes off. my code reader i have dont have code history on it. i am going to my buddys dads mechanic shop tuesday since he is closed on monday to have him hook up his diagnostics machine and get him to pull the code history.but i really dont think the alternator is causing my problems.
Old 10-23-2011, 09:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

check for any loose grounds.did you change your fuel filter ?
Old 10-23-2011, 10:41 AM
Teching In

checked all the grounds and yep changed the fuel filter out too.
Old 10-23-2011, 04:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Bad alt will cause loss of power our cars live on electronics, try changing the belt tensioner also my voltmeter would drop when i got to 5k and it turned out to be the tensioner. 6 months later bad alternator. Get used to the irratation you own an fbody.