Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this a blown trans or converter?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 03:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Is this a blown trans or converter?

A couple weeks ago, car started locking and unlocking the converter cruising down the highway at about 60. When I pulled over and checked the fluid, it was literally black. I took it home and talked to a few people and they all said it sounded like my #4 clutch went out on the converter. They also said that the contaminents would be all in the transmission and probably ruined it also.

Well, I finally dropped the pan today and this is what I saw..

Now, the thing is there was absolutely NO metal in the pan or the filter. The fluid is stained but I'm sure its from the melted clutch. Now, since there was no metal in the fluid, if I flushed the transmission out really well, would I be ok to just get another converter?? Getting a new transmission is no problem at the moment because I was already prepared to get it. But, if a converter can fix it for awhile, I see some suspenion parts and a few other goodies coming in the mail soon. .
Old 10-23-2011, 07:12 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Well Just My opinion but I would not put a new converter in a trans whose fluid looks like that. It may be ok or just double spending hard to say.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 10-23-2011, 07:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by performabuilt
Well Just My opinion but I would not put a new converter in a trans whose fluid looks like that. It may be ok or just double spending hard to say.
I respect your opinion 100% as your reputation speaks for itself. If I do buy a new transmission, no doubt it will be from your company.

With a thorough flush, what is the chances it is ok? There was literally no metal or anything that looked harmful in the pan or when I cracked open the filter. I know this fluid looks beyond bad, but its obvious that its just from the burnt up clutch.. A local builder told me that if there was no metal, it would probably be ok. But, I know that he doesn't specialize in these transmissions as many of the sponsors on this forum do. Any opinion is greatly appreciated..

And for whats it worth, I was just going send the converter back to TCI to let them rebuild it. I wasn't plannin on dropping coin on a new one..
Old 10-23-2011, 09:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Black fluid and lots of sludge = worn out clutch material -> spread throughout transmission (including valve body)...

you will save money with a rebuild and a new converter.

Last edited by joecar; 10-23-2011 at 09:30 PM.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

That blows.. I guess I was just thinkin with a good flush it would be ok considering there was no metal in the system. I guess now my money will go towards a new one..
Old 10-28-2011, 09:08 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dang, that sucks man. Now I'm a little nervous about my tranny... It started locking/unlocking on the highway with me. It has done it about 5 times in the past 2 days, but none today (so far).