Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam swap questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 07:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cam swap questions

Ok, so I was thinking of doin a head/cam swap on my full bolt on 99 ss a4. well i really dont wanna fork out all that money into my spring summer daily driver. i figured i just get another car and build it up. But I was thinkin maybe just a cam swap could work. The cam I picked out is the tsp 228r 112 lsa. Could I just take everything apart, swap cams, and put it back together and be good? It will still be my spring/summer DD and i want to have a lil more torque down low and a nice lopey sound. My car will never be a all out drag car, so I don't want to spend all the money in heads and dyno tuning.
Old 11-03-2011, 07:27 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

PM sent!
Old 11-03-2011, 07:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CamaroManLS1
Ok, so I was thinking of doin a head/cam swap on my full bolt on 99 ss a4. well i really dont wanna fork out all that money into my spring summer daily driver. i figured i just get another car and build it up. But I was thinkin maybe just a cam swap could work. The cam I picked out is the tsp 228r 112 lsa. Could I just take everything apart, swap cams, and put it back together and be good? It will still be my spring/summer DD and i want to have a lil more torque down low and a nice lopey sound. My car will never be a all out drag car, so I don't want to spend all the money in heads and dyno tuning.
while yes you can do this me and everyone here will highly advice not doing it. the valvesprings for one will break shortly after a new cam is installed regardless of the lift. new springs means new seals and seats and retainers. new rods is also highly advised. think of it this way. if your engine is going to break its going to be in the weakest point. you wouldnt put a strong new cam in and keep old valvetrain parts. get a cam, new springs ( dual valve springs are recommended, valve stem seals, seats and retainers, pushrods and lifters. a new timing chain is also needed at least an ls2 chain. the stock one is weak and will break. roller rockers if your up for it. oil pump is also recommended while your down there. then theres the price for new gaskets. all in all a cam swap is alot more than it sounds, and can get expensive. personally id just buy a set of assembled heads on a site that offers a heads cam package that way you dont have to assemble the heads.