Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Ran a fellow member tonite!

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 01:16 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ran a fellow member tonite!

I ended up running a fellow member here after a local forum meet.
Cars:
me- 09 c6z06 mods full exhaust, intake, ported t/b and I/M.
R6cowboy- 00 H/C/I plus supporting mods. Plus a passanger.

After leaving the meet I wasnt even suspecting running anyone tonite. It was 30* out and had my tires at 33 psi. Right after getting on the highway I notice a nice c5 pull up next at its R6cowboy( i saw him leave a few minutes before me, maybe he went the wrong way and some how ended up behind me) And i hear him down shift, so its on i drop her into second we slow down to about 45-50ish I 3 honk it, go WOT and I spin bad! my Rear end swung hard to the left(cold tires) I let off the throttle while the c5 hooks and just jumps out hard about 4 lengths. I feather it in 2nd still spinning most of 2nd hit third and start to close the distance, As im hitting 4th I notice a car in the c5s lane he breaks for it Im and thinking oh **** that was close. I dont even remember how the 1st race ended up. I think I was close to his rear bumper.

We line em up again from a 45 roll, 3 beeps this time i try to ease into the throttle but still spun a good amount but no where near as bad as the 1st run. While the c5 just hooks and jumps out about 1.5-2 lengths( Does blizzak make a drag radial that i never heard about!?!?!) I catch traction at about 65-70mph go WOT and start creeping back, I end up right around his rear bumper/wheel and I miss third. I finally find third but lost all momentum and dropped back about another length. I start creeping back up again top of third Im back even with him, hit 4th and creep out about 1/2 a car length, and the c5 lets off due to another car in his lane.

Definitely some good times and good runs right before the season comes to an end for us here.
Old 11-18-2011, 01:25 AM
TECH Regular

good stuff man, would be nice to see how it goes with you getting better traction.
Would be surprised if you don't win
Old 11-18-2011, 01:32 AM
Teching In

OP do you have any track times with you vette?????
Old 11-18-2011, 01:52 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 06GTOKID
OP do you have any track times with you vette?????
On a 275/40/17 M/T Ive trapped 128 before the Ported I/M and Tb. After the porting I and picked up 15-20 under the curve and 15whp peak. At the same time I also installed the vette air intake scoop, that caused a ram air effect. Afterwards we had to really richen the car up from 5500 to redline to compensate for the extra air. It worked great but the scoop also ended causing alot of issues with my car. It had really bad idle surging issues( so bad to the point that it would cause my service active handling, and traction control. we tried to fix the surging but was able to reduce the surging to the point where it wouldnt throw any codes, but still surged so bad that i ended up taking the scoop off.

It fixed most of the surging but the hole in the radiator shroud still caused the car to surge just a hair. I ended up taking the scoop of and in 3rd gear after 5500 rpms the car just felt lazy. I went to track anyways like that, and was only able to trap a best of 126.5 ( I ended up trapping 2mph higher in the in the 1/8th but still trapped lower than before at the 1/4). I would usually pick up about 27-28 mph in the back half but since everything is off and really rich i was only picking up 24 mph in the back half. I still havent had a chance to get everything back to how it was map wise when it got off the dyno. I was hoping for 130ish traps but only ended up with 126.5 at best.
Old 11-18-2011, 03:43 AM
Teching In

What was your time?

My fastest time stock was 12.13 @123(infineon race way). After my few mods(cold air intake, tune, tires and cat back) and a lot or practice I ran a 11.2 @13x(sacramemto race way) I had to shift in to 4th gear going over the line.
Old 11-18-2011, 08:00 AM
11 Second Club

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

mental note: race dan in the cold

good story!
Old 11-18-2011, 08:50 AM
TECH Regular

who ported your intake/tb?
Old 11-18-2011, 10:19 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by AWDTBSS
who ported your intake/tb?
Jeremy formatto ported the intake manifold, and a local guy did the t/b.
Old 11-18-2011, 10:30 AM
TECH Regular

Pretty good gains for already having headers, catback, Cai, and tune prior
Old 11-18-2011, 10:42 AM
Staging Lane

Pretty good gains for already having headers, catback, Cai, and tune prior
Yeah it was but, but trying to adjust for that damn scoop really threw everything off and i ended up going slower once i took it off.
Old 11-18-2011, 11:33 AM
TECH Regular

Oh you haven't retuned since you took off the scoop?
Old 11-18-2011, 11:54 AM
Staging Lane

Oh you haven't retuned since you took off the scoop?
No not yet. the person who does my work has been trying to get everything set up in a new shop location.
Old 11-18-2011, 12:28 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by hugger1975
mental note: race dan in the cold

good story!
I wont be making the same mistakes again jay.
Old 11-19-2011, 01:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

It was fun running the cars. I was smart enough to keep the active handling/traction control "on"...hint hint Dan I also spin like crazy in 2nd and 3rd in the cold 30* weather.

The z06 was obviously, as expected, faster then my car. Even though I was expecting to get walked, what better way to end the night.

We'll run 'em again in good weather come spring I'm sure.
Old 11-19-2011, 07:44 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by R6cowboy
It was fun running the cars. I was smart enough to keep the active handling/traction control "on"...hint hint Dan I also spin like crazy in 2nd and 3rd in the cold 30* weather.

The z06 was obviously, as expected, faster then my car. Even though I was expecting to get walked, what better way to end the night.

Yeah i always have a blast running em win or lose. I figured that going from a 45 roll in second(Im at only 3500 rpms) I knew i was going to spin but damn Ive never spun that bad ever! I was shitting bricks! I didnt even know i had my t/c off,Its become second nature for me to always turn it off its always car on, t/c off seatbelt off! in the cold weather ive been trying to leave it on lately. I tired leaving it on today and did some pulls still spun but aleast it stayed planted and went forward instead of spinning side to side.
Old 11-19-2011, 07:50 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by R6cowboy

<-----chase car with go pro . Good meeting up with you guys. Unfortunately I wa heading a different direction, but would have gotten smoked even if I wanted to try.
Old 11-19-2011, 07:55 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by willizm
<-----chase car with go pro . Good meeting up with you guys. Unfortunately I wa heading a different direction, but would have gotten smoked even if I wanted to try.
For sure will, but bring the t/a instead and lets have a few different runs. Also remember how a few weeks ago i was like "dude im not to sure it will be too smart to run in 30* weather"! Guess im not smart enough to follow my own advice. If i was fish tailing that bad and was close to spinning out, i can only imagine what your t/a would have done!
Old 11-19-2011, 08:04 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by redctsv
For sure will, but bring the t/a instead and lets have a few different runs. Also remember how a few weeks ago i was like "dude im not to sure it will be too smart to run in 30* weather"! Guess im not smart enough to follow my own advice. If i was fish tailing that bad and was close to spinning out, i can only imagine what your t/a would have done!
Lol, I hear ya. I'm a bit nervous to run it this cold especially with the limited seat time I've had with it since getting it running and tuned. Spring time will be fun. Hopefully Jay will have his car ready. I want to see this mean c5 in action too. It sounded really good
Old 11-19-2011, 08:31 PM
11 Second Club

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

oh.....i will be ready.....have 2 interviews mon/tue......
Old 11-22-2011, 12:59 PM
Teching In

Good race guys. Becarefull though. High HP cars and 30degreee temps don’t mix!

I sure wish it was still summer time.