Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

OK, I'm diving right in.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 01:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default OK, I'm diving right in.....

I'm replacing my tranny at home with help from a friend, on the ground, with no idea what I'm doing. I have watched the 3 part T56 videos on youtube and it looks pretty simple. I am a mechanic on the railroad by day so I know how to use the tools. My 3rd gear is pretty much shot. Can't really use it anymore and 5th grinds everytime. Here is what I have picked out for parts:

Car has 455rwhp and 400rwtq. Does this look like a good setup for what I have? Is there anything more I need to get? I want to do this right the first time. I have had the car 4 months and the tranny just crapped out on me. I am not happy and haven't told the wife yet. It was a stock tranny. Bumms me out but **** happens. I want to do it myself so I can do it again if need be and not have to rely on anyone else. Also I have a trust issue with the places around here. I just don't trust anyone who says "I think we can do it". I will take all the advice you can give me. Please, help me do this right!!!
Old 11-20-2011, 05:45 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is a DIY w/ pics I did when I did my clutch. I had a friend help me lower and raise the trans with a floor jack. When I swapped my trans I bought a trans jack from Harbor Freight and did it by myself pretty easily.

T56 Removal and Install
Old 11-20-2011, 08:52 PM
Launching!

taken mine down a few times with that guide. With 1 assistant and jackstands we can pull/install a transmission faster than I can change the plugs lol.
Old 11-21-2011, 04:00 PM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Soul Crusher
taken mine down a few times with that guide. With 1 assistant and jackstands we can pull/install a transmission faster than I can change the plugs lol.

Cool!!! I can't wait. I love working on my car. Does my cart look good? Anything else I need as far as parts? Here are the videos in case no one has saw them. Pretty much same as the guide above.

T56 clutch install videos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ri8Dd..._order&list=UL PART 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11vv-...eature=related PART 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWzBU...eature=related PART 3
Old 11-21-2011, 06:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It's not that hard at all. You got this!
Old 11-21-2011, 07:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would get a speed bleeder also, makes it alot easier and the fluid gets dirty quick so you can bleed and flush quick, 10 minutes. Also, you may want to make sure that the clutch doesnt come with the pilot bearing. My monster clutch came with it. Also may want to consider a monster clutch.

I also did my first clutch job, its a piece of cake. The top bolts on the tranny to bellhousing on the top are the hardest, just need 2 feet of extensions.