Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

motor build

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 10:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default motor build

all right, this is going to be a slow process since I'm still in college, however, my plan is to find a lq4 or lq9 in the junkyard this upcoming Christmas break that is just around the corner. At the moment, I have an ls1 with 243 heads and most of the bolt ons. My plan is to take the new motor and have it bored .030 over and throw a 4" stroke to make it a 408 motor. My main question is, if I throw the stock 243's on, where will my compression be at with flat top pistons? The motor will go back into my camaro and I'm trying to get the compression around 11.5:1 (or slightly lower) since 93 octane is available.

my plan is to have the 243's sent to AI and have them worked over. I plan to call them and talk to them more about this set up, but I'd like to have a game plan as to have a decent conversation about my plan. I did a compression calculator and with a .051 cometic head gasket, I got the CR to be just over 12 with the stock 243 heads.

if anyone can give me the true CR I'll get with that set up and an idea of what to change by working the heads over to get the compression down it would be greatly appreciated. I plan to do as much research as possible, but any suggestions or help from the ls1tech community would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance