Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I think I have a bad tune!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 04:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I think I have a bad tune!!!

I have a 00 WS6 with MS3, terminator heads, bolt-ons, 42lb injectors and the car runs very rich. When I say very rich I mean when its idling it makes everything around my car smell like pure gasoline. if I pull into garage its unbearable to be in there, even if I shut off right away. At a red light you can't have the windows down. All my buddies with F-body's, mustangs, etc... say the tune is bad, so I wanted to get on here and ask some tune guru's to give me insight and whether I need to go pay to get it done again...
Thanks for any input.

FYI it did put down 463rwhp and 420 rwTq
Old 12-07-2011, 04:54 PM
2TR
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honestly without a wideband to show the actual AFR answering your question is like watching people try to positively identify if your tires are low on air without a gauge. Based on your power output I would suspect you don't have catalytic converters anymore? Technically THAT alone would result in a more than unusual foul smell on a headers only car BUT I have never tuned a car that smelled as rich as your describing. A friend of mine did get a professional dyno tune from someone local and installed catalytic converters afterwards because his wife didn't like the gas smell. Sounds like you have a really bad gas smell beyond anything I've experienced.

IF the tune is off which I wouldn't doubt it is...I figure your tuner has missed the most important 1st step in tuning ANY vehicle...making certain that the replacement fuel injectors have correct data in the tune PRIOR to tuning anything else. IF you tuner says its fine have him prove it by showing actual AFR values from idle to WOT. Also ask him to provide you with a copy of the tune by email. We can review it here...Truth is in the puddin'!

Last edited by 2TR; 12-07-2011 at 09:35 PM.
Old 12-07-2011, 05:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have a copy of the graph I can post I that will help. Also the car has a hard time idling, he never got it to idle right. When I come to a start or roll and stop in traffic I have a tough time keeping it idled. And also when I turn A/C on it will try to shut off. And have idle issues. It sucks so bad.
I don't have cats. But it's headers with cutout, but even if I shut it to go through stock exhaust it still is horrible. But before I did heads, fast 92/92, 42 lb injectors the smell was not bad at all. When someone is behind me in another car they say it's an overwhelming gas smell.
Old 12-07-2011, 06:26 PM
9 Second Club

The Air-Fuel-Ratio on the dyno graph only shows you what it was at WOT... that doesn't show squat for how the tune is under normal driving conditions! There are a lot of hack tuners out there that don't know what they are doing... Possibly he didn't tune for the new injectors - only hacked the PE table to make it right on the dyno. Probably has no idea what he is doing if he sent you away with a car that won't idle...

I would find someone in your area that knows what they are doing and get it done right...
Old 12-07-2011, 09:34 PM
2TR
On The Tree

Give him (bunk tuner) this link for idle tuning...has pictures and is in tri-color crayola!

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...ht=idle+tuning
Old 12-08-2011, 05:35 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wait a minute........Let me get out my.............

Old 12-08-2011, 07:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

The same tuner also tuned my buddies LT1 and it also never ran right and smelled like pure gasoline. I guess this guys reputation superseded his knowledge. I guess I will save up and take to Vengeance Racing, they are a few hours a way. I have heard great things about them.
Old 12-08-2011, 05:17 PM
2TR
On The Tree

Originally Posted by FBGSU02
I have a copy of the graph I can post I that will help. Also the car has a hard time idling, he never got it to idle right. When I come to a start or roll and stop in traffic I have a tough time keeping it idled. And also when I turn A/C on it will try to shut off. And have idle issues. It sucks so bad.
I don't have cats. But it's headers with cutout, but even if I shut it to go through stock exhaust it still is horrible. But before I did heads, fast 92/92, 42 lb injectors the smell was not bad at all. When someone is behind me in another car they say it's an overwhelming gas smell.
That's where the tuner F*'ed up I can guarantee you. Probably didn't put in the correct injector values (if any where updated all!). This is tuning 101...step #1 to tuning with confidence.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

I just did some searches on here about my tuner and now I know the tune is ****! It was done at Carolina Auto Masters. So now it's either vengeance racing or tuned by frost. I'm leaning to frost from what I have read. What you guys think?
Old 12-10-2011, 02:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

I think you need to stop driving it before you was the rings out of it....
Old 12-10-2011, 02:29 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by FBGSU02
I have a 00 WS6 with MS3, terminator heads, bolt-ons, 42lb injectors and the car runs very rich. When I say very rich I mean when its idling it makes everything around my car smell like pure gasoline. if I pull into garage its unbearable to be in there, even if I shut off right away. At a red light you can't have the windows down. All my buddies with F-body's, mustangs, etc... say the tune is bad, so I wanted to get on here and ask some tune guru's to give me insight and whether I need to go pay to get it done again...
Thanks for any input.

FYI it did put down 463rwhp and 420 rwTq
get the IFR table changed for the appropriate injectors 42#, and check it with a wideband. ALSO, with NO CATS it will smell bad...but from the sounds of things it shouldn't smell that bad.