Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam Swap Tools

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 04:43 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cam Swap Tools

After a long frustrating search of spread out answers with expired links...it's time to make a good thread that gets straight to the point.

Aside from basic wrenches, ratchets, sockets, etc...what tools are necessary for a cam swap? i.e. valvespring compressor, what do you need to get the crank pulley off and on, and whatever else I'm missing. Please specify what to ask for if it is something you can rent from advanced. I'd prefer to rent and or spend as least amount of $$ as possible on the tools to get the job done right.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-29-2011, 04:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well for the crank pulley you will need a 3 jaw puller, make sure it is a quality one because they are pretty tightly pressed on. I would highly suggest getting a crank bolt pulley from arp if not done so already. The other thing I would get is the front cover alignment tool for the front cover of the engine. Some people say you don’t need it but I like to do everything right and according to gm there is an alignment tool for the front cover to prevent leaking from the seal around the cover. Whether you use this or not is your choice. The only other thing would be a good torque wrench that is accurate and that is about it.
Old 12-29-2011, 04:56 PM
Launching!

Here's a link

http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=23
Old 12-29-2011, 06:15 PM
Launching!

great link. read that earlier and forgot about it.

Does anyone have any experience using a valvespring tool rented from advanced? Do they work on all springs or do I need to get a specific one to get them all?
Old 12-29-2011, 10:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Get a tims tool for the valve springs.
Old 12-29-2011, 11:16 PM
12 Second Club

I have the Crane cams spring tool, it allows you to do two springs at once. This is a sweet tool, I have the older version of this.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-5462/

I use a 3 jaw puller, I'm pretty sure I got it from Autozone and the rods you slide in the block to hold the lifters up purchased from Thunder Racing. A lot of guy use wood dowels, or spin the cam and pray. Not a good idea as far as I'm concerned.

I made a threaded tool to screw into the head that hooks to my air compressor. It pressurizes the cylinder to hold valves up.

Finally, not sure if this is the best way to reinstall the balancer, but it's how I've done it a few times. I went to a screw supplier and bought a few different lengths of harmonic balancer bolt sizes and washers to gradually press it back on. The were about 3 bucks each. It's been a while since I've dont the swap, I may be forgetting something.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you will also need the harmonic balancer install too from HAWK. the LS1howto site gives a bad way to put the balancer back on. if you are not taking the heads off you will need 2 dowel rods to make sure the lifters do not fall into the tray.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:26 AM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

i made my own tools fairly easily.......used a piece of 3/16" steel with a threaded rod and a couple of nuts to make a valve spring compressor tool........used compressed air in the cylinder to hold the valve shut...........went to home depot got two .125 rods and used those to hold the lifters up...........fairly straight foward easy install
Old 12-30-2011, 07:25 PM
Launching!

Ok rods won't be a problem. Could you give some details on how you installed your valve spring tool and used it? I'm kind of unsure how it works with going down the threaded rod and staying level and lined up with the spring
Old 12-31-2011, 07:01 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All I needed was 3 jaw puller, arp crank bolt, and proform valvespring compressor...u dont need the alignment tool for the front cover, just a little common sense....oh yea and if u are doing the swap with motor in car you will have to be very patient with the oil pump and oring if you change it bc the oil pickup tube bolt is at the most inconvient angle ever!
Old 12-31-2011, 09:46 AM
12 Second Club

This thread made me realize I had Hawks tool but I loaned it to a guy and he broke it. How, I don't know. I will buy another one if I can find it.

Quick Reply: Cam Swap Tools