Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 05:22 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter Help

Just wrapping up my LY6/4L85e into my 67 Cutlass Convertible. Having a little trouble with my starter. When I hit the key, the starter spins but doesnt hit the flywheel, you just hear it go but does not engage or spin the motor.

The part thats troubling ,me is that this is the SAME starter /block/ flywheel out of the donor vehicle...nothing has changed and I do not remember seeing any shims when I removed the starter originally.

I looked in my old SBC stuff & found some shims but none fit the new LS starter bolt pattern.

Any ideas on what it could be?? After months of work I'm that close to starting it!!! It's killing me!!!!
Old 12-29-2011, 06:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by kanner1
Just wrapping up my LY6/4L85e into my 67 Cutlass Convertible. Having a little trouble with my starter. When I hit the key, the starter spins but doesnt hit the flywheel, you just hear it go but does not engage or spin the motor.

The part thats troubling ,me is that this is the SAME starter /block/ flywheel out of the donor vehicle...nothing has changed and I do not remember seeing any shims when I removed the starter originally.

I looked in my old SBC stuff & found some shims but none fit the new LS starter bolt pattern.

Any ideas on what it could be?? After months of work I'm that close to starting it!!! It's killing me!!!!
Is the solenoid kicking the gear out?
Old 12-29-2011, 06:46 PM
Staging Lane

Truth...I'm not sure. Always thought they either worked or didnt...lol.

I will try to check that tomorrow. If not just replace the starter I guess.

Thanks!!
Old 12-29-2011, 07:02 PM
Staging Lane

OK I just checked. The gear does move out a little and spins but does not even come close to hitting the flywheel. I even threw a couple of washers on top of the starter bolts as shims and the same thing. Engages & spins but no flywheel action!!!
Old 12-29-2011, 08:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Make sure you Battery is fully charged. Might want to remove the starter and bench test it.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:44 PM
Staging Lane

It's a brand new optima! Im gonna pick up a new starter tomorrow just to be safe.
Old 12-30-2011, 05:11 PM
Staging Lane

Try bringing it to a local car place (Autozone) to get tested first. I must have had a brain fart when I hooked mine up, "thought" I replaced the wires exactly as the previous SBC was wired. Ended up I was providing power to the wrong post. When the guy at Autozone put it in the tester, there is a clear cover that allowed me to see the gear spin and pop out so I knew the starter was fine. Put it back on with the correct post and problem solved.

Quick Reply: Starter Help