Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FTRA Owners Come In

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2004, 07:18 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default FTRA Owners Come In

I made a similar post yesterday titled SSRA Owners Come In so if you think you're experiencing deja vu, don't worry. Here's my dilemma. I'm thinking of buying this product and was wondering what you think if you have it installed (or know someone who does). Also, I don't want to do any drilling to the car as I want to be able to put it back to stock condition anytime I want, so I was curious if anyone can tell me how this system is installed? Since I have to cut up the lower air box I'll probably just buy a new one from GM, so should I buy one made for a non-ram air car or one like what I already have? Also, I'm concerned with drilling extra or larger holes in the front air deflector. Is this required to make the system fit? If so I'll probably buy another one from GM also.
Old 03-16-2004, 07:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

I got it pretty recently. I had FRA before, and could notice a difference between the 2. I seem to feel it above 60+ mph. I ran to 120 the other day, and I could hear it a little over the cam and cutout, but when I have it capped up and am merging into Interstate traffic, I can hear and feel it. Was worth the money in my book. Now for the install. You do have to drill something like 2 3/16 holes in the metal underneath the airbox so that it will not slide around. It is no big deal and no one would ever see these. You do have to cut the box as you said, just like is done for FRA. I don't know which box to tell you to buy, you would only need the lower portion I would say, so I would get whatever is cheapest-I could be wrong here. You do have to take off the black plastic that covers your radiator and make a cut in it, but there is no other drilling. Here are the instructions that explain it alot better:

http://www.fasttoys.net/9398fbodyframes.html

I got it b/c of the SSRA b/c I found it used for 50 in the For Sale section. SO I can not really help you much there. From my research, the scoop on the Original SSRA may help out a little more, but I thought they did about the same thing in my book. Hope this helps somewhat!
Old 03-16-2004, 08:06 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BoneSS
You do have to drill something like 2 3/16 holes in the metal underneath the airbox so that it will not slide around.
Are you saying these holes have to be drilled into the body of the car, or in the FTRA system? I'd hate to drill holes in the car if I don't have to. Do you think some good double sided tape would work instead of drilling if that's the case?
Old 03-16-2004, 08:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

That would probably work. Mine didn't seem to move around where it was before I drilled the holes. They holes are drilled underneath the filter tray, so there is no way anybody would ever see them. Look through the guide to see where I am talking about exactly.
Old 03-16-2004, 08:18 AM
TWS
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The holes you need to drill are very small and are hidden under the lower airbox assembly. Don't worry about them, just do it.
Old 03-16-2004, 08:23 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TWS
The holes you need to drill are very small and are hidden under the lower airbox assembly. Don't worry about them, just do it.
I would but I'm so **** about not doing anything to my car that isn't reversible .
Old 03-16-2004, 09:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Then dont do any mods , leave it alone, there is a right way to do things and a wrong way, do it right the first time and you will be happy , The FTRA is a good mod that is proven and doesnt looked hacked up when its installed.

If your that **** you could always sell your TA and buy a honda and rice it out and not go fast.
Old 03-16-2004, 09:15 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by boomcase
Then dont do any mods , leave it alone, there is a right way to do things and a wrong way, do it right the first time and you will be happy , The FTRA is a good mod that is proven and doesnt looked hacked up when its installed.

If your that **** you could always sell your TA and buy a honda and rice it out and not go fast.
There's plenty of mods I can do without hacking up the car, such as heads, cam, LSX, catback, etc. My goal is a low-mid 11 second car that is not hacked up and can be completely returned to stock form at any time. I plan to buy a stripper Z28 or Formula in a couple years that already has some miles on it so I won't mind welding in a roll cage and cutting it up if necessary to make it an all out dragster. But for this car I want to keep it pristine as I intend to keep it a long time.
Old 03-16-2004, 09:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

You really don't hack up anything. The install is very clean. Go through the link I posted for the install guide. The airbox isn't reversible, but you can pick them cheap here used or even new at a dealership. You cut the radiator cover, but it is very clean looking, and another cheap replacement part. I am **** about installs too, but when it is clean and looks almost factory, it looks sick! I had to drill two 2 inch holes in the door panels for tweeters--that is hacking a car, but it was done right and looks like they are supposed to be there. It is all in how it is done. Trust me, this will be an easy, clean install.
Old 03-16-2004, 09:52 AM
TECH Resident

Ok thanks for all the info. I'll probably go ahead and pick of the pieces that need to be cut then and order the system after I get those. Thanks for all your suggestions .
Old 03-16-2004, 09:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

No problem. Didn't mean to come across stern if I did. Hope you enjoy the mod!
Old 03-16-2004, 10:34 AM
TWS
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by TA_WS6
I would but I'm so **** about not doing anything to my car that isn't reversible .

Do you feel the need for speed? Then your aversion to mods will pass quickly.
Old 03-16-2004, 11:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TWS
Do you feel the need for speed? Then your aversion to mods will pass quickly.
Old 03-17-2004, 11:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by TA_WS6
There's plenty of mods I can do without hacking up the car, such as heads, cam, LSX, catback, etc. My goal is a low-mid 11 second car that is not hacked up and can be completely returned to stock form at any time. .
man....returning to a stage 2 heads, cam, full exhaust car back to stock is going to cost you $800-1200 in labor alone and $120-180 in LS1 Edit w/dyno time.

cutting a few holes in that POS air deflector cannot be compared to the above....you're talking about a $10-30 piece in the forsale section and about $3 in plastic clips.