Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MTI Stealth Cam

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2004, 06:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MTI Stealth Cam

Ok... This is my mod list for the summer. Bare with me people.

SLP Lid/K/n
SLP 85mm MAF
LS6 Intake
Mac Mids
ORY
TSP Rumbler
MTI Stealth 1/2? I cant decide on the cam thats why I need your help on deciding with my mods. This car will be a daily driver, see about 200 miles on the weekend and maybe 75 every week. I want to keep the powerband in the "stock" range. 6500 being the limit probably. I'll be upgrading springs,pushrods,retainers, and whatever else comes with the cam kit. Do I need to get lifters? or anything else. All info is appreciated. Sorry for being a post ***** but I just need to guage so I can budget this in. Thanks.
Old 03-16-2004, 07:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

What about the MTI T1 221/221 .558/.558??? I know a guy that has this one and it is his daily driver. He also has Longtube headers, Borla xr-1 exhaust and Stage 2 port job though. He dyno'd 414rwhp and 390rwtq. I think that is respectable and ok for a daily driver. Put a little juice on it and you will really be smoke'n!!
Old 03-16-2004, 07:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ohhiitznik
Ok... This is my mod list for the summer. Bare with me people.

SLP Lid/K/n
SLP 85mm MAF
LS6 Intake
Mac Mids
ORY
TSP Rumbler
MTI Stealth 1/2? I cant decide on the cam thats why I need your help on deciding with my mods. This car will be a daily driver, see about 200 miles on the weekend and maybe 75 every week. I want to keep the powerband in the "stock" range. 6500 being the limit probably. I'll be upgrading springs,pushrods,retainers, and whatever else comes with the cam kit. Do I need to get lifters? or anything else. All info is appreciated. Sorry for being a post ***** but I just need to guage so I can budget this in. Thanks.
Couple of questions and then my opinon... First, why did you choose Mac's over a LT set up? I cant think it is emmisions b/c you want an ORY. Second, is drivabilily an issue or is the "stealth" aspect what you are concerned with?

Ok, now my opinion... Dont bother with the SLP MAF sensor. You stock will work fine up to 450hp or so. Some people have even reported a loss in HP with it's addition. It also has caused tuning issues with some cars.

On either cam selection, you shouldnt need lifters. I will have to see what your response is on my questions before I would recommend one over the other, however.

Colonel is making good power and cutting good times with his SII, but I cant remember what it was peaking at. Ill have to check to see if it peaking uder 6500 where you want it.

OABTW, you are not being a post *****. A post ***** is when people write a reply or a thread with no (or very little) content to draw attention to themselves, or to up their post count. Valid questions are welcome. General questions are frowned upon (i.e. pick my cam for me, which mod is the "best", etc.) You are at a cross roads comparing two cams. Thats not a problem, in fact, I was there about two weeks ago However, the search button is your friend. Do a search on both cams to get a better idea of their charcteristics.

Ive done searches on both of those cams, but the SII had little info that I needed. Maybe there is more now.

Take Care and Good Luck
Old 03-16-2004, 07:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Revelation222
Couple of questions and then my opinon... First, why did you choose Mac's over a LT set up? I cant think it is emmisions b/c you want an ORY. Second, is drivabilily an issue or is the "stealth" aspect what you are concerned with?

Ok, now my opinion... Dont bother with the SLP MAF sensor. You stock will work fine up to 450hp or so. Some people have even reported a loss in HP with it's addition. It also has caused tuning issues with some cars.

On either cam selection, you shouldnt need lifters. I will have to see what your response is on my questions before I would recommend one over the other, however.

Colonel is making good power and cutting good times with his SII, but I cant remember what it was peaking at. Ill have to check to see if it peaking uder 6500 where you want it.

OABTW, you are not being a post *****. A post ***** is when people write a reply or a thread with no (or very little) content to draw attention to themselves, or to up their post count. Valid questions are welcome. General questions are frowned upon (i.e. pick my cam for me, which mod is the "best", etc.) You are at a cross roads comparing two cams. Thats not a problem, in fact, I was there about two weeks ago However, the search button is your friend. Do a search on both cams to get a better idea of their charcteristics.

Ive done searches on both of those cams, but the SII had little info that I needed. Maybe there is more now.

Take Care and Good Luck

I'm going with macs because im getting a set coated w/ a orypipe for 275 bucks. Cant beat that price. And i know longtubes give more gains, but at almost 2 times the price of the macs the 5-10 hp isnt worth it to me. I want it to be driveable and stealthy. This is a street car and it will see the track 2-3 times a year. I'm only 19 and this is performance on a budget, that also made me decide on a used set of macs. Thank you for being informative, and I did use the search, only 2 threads pertaining to the MTI stealth cams specifically, and they didnt answer all my questions. Thank you.
Old 03-16-2004, 07:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm going with macs because im getting a set coated w/ a orypipe for 275 bucks. Cant beat that price. And i know longtubes give more gains, but at almost 2 times the price of the macs the 5-10 hp isnt worth it to me. I want it to be driveable and stealthy. This is a street car and it will see the track 2-3 times a year. I'm only 19 and this is performance on a budget, that also made me decide on a used set of macs. Thank you for being informative, and I did use the search, only 2 threads pertaining to the MTI stealth cams specifically, and they didnt answer all my questions. Thank you.
Well since you are set on the Macs I would have to say the Steath I then. With a longer intake duration on the S2, you would need the least restrictive exaust you could muster to help get the extra air out that the larger lobe pulled in. The more restrictive the exaust, the less benefit you would see from the slightly larger intake lobe. Also, this is just a guess, but id say that the S 1 should peak a little lower as well with the tighter of the two LSA's

Oh, and I forgot to mention last time that a SSRA or FTRA would be a great replacement mod for the SLP MAF. Cheap and easy .2-.3 and 2-4 mph 1/4mi gain
Old 03-16-2004, 08:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well since you are set on the Macs I would have to say the Steath I then. With a longer intake duration on the S2, you would need the least restrictive exaust you could muster to help get the extra air out that the larger lobe pulled in. The more restrictive the exaust, the less benefit you would see from the slightly larger intake lobe. Also, this is just a guess, but id say that the S 1 should peak a little lower as well with the tighter of the two LSA's

Oh, and I forgot to mention last time that a SSRA or FTRA would be a great replacement mod for the SLP MAF. Cheap and easy .2-.3 and 2-4 mph 1/4mi gain

Thank you very much. I'm going to do a cam instead of nitrous because it will be much safer. I'll just buy the whole cam install kit from MTI with the hardened pushrods, springs, retainers and what else?
Old 03-16-2004, 08:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

MACS flow just about the same as LT's i heard. I dont know why people rag on em.
Old 03-16-2004, 08:37 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

MACs are very good for what they are, mid length headers. For what you want, get 'em, but you should know that budget LT's like Hookers, Flowtechs and Pacesetters are out there.
Old 03-16-2004, 08:45 PM
Teching In

is major tuning required or is this a simple swap and burn everyone cam
Old 03-16-2004, 08:51 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

A cam swap with small/mid sized cams can usually run on a stock tune. But, one may need a tune to get the thing to idle PERFECTLY without surging at lights, adjusting idle revs, and to hammer out any minor drivability issues. One SHOULD get a tune after a cam install to make sure the PCM is doing its job correctly throughout the entire rev range... this is why dyno tuning usually milks out anywhere from 5 to 20hp after a cam install.
Old 03-16-2004, 08:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thank you very much. I'm going to do a cam instead of nitrous because it will be much safer. I'll just buy the whole cam install kit from MTI with the hardened pushrods, springs, retainers and what else?

Ported LS6 Oil Pump and Double Roller timing chain to be safe. Possibly valve seals depending on the milage of you car and their condition.

I never mentioned nitrous? Sorry if I misunderstood. If SSRA or FTRA is what you are speaking on, those are just "ram air" kits for our cars. About $150-$180 depending on brand and style.

Also, I never did "rag" on a Mac set up. Like S. Florida said, they are good for what they are. The primarys on Mid-length headers are not quite long enough to promote optimal scaveging of the exaust gases on the LS1. There is a reason many LT's from the various companies have very similar primary lengths. Heck, even the designs are similar between most of them.

Good Luck with whatever you choose.
Old 03-16-2004, 09:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ported LS6 Oil Pump and Double Roller timing chain to be safe. Possibly valve seals depending on the milage of you car and their condition.

I never mentioned nitrous? Sorry if I misunderstood. If SSRA or FTRA is what you are speaking on, those are just "ram air" kits for our cars. About $150-$180 depending on brand and style.

Also, I never did "rag" on a Mac set up. Like S. Florida said, they are good for what they are. The primarys on Mid-length headers are not quite long enough to promote optimal scaveging of the exaust gases on the LS1. There is a reason many LT's from the various companies have very similar primary lengths. Heck, even the designs are similar between most of them.

Good Luck with whatever you choose.

I wasnt making fun of you, nor was i referring to you saying nitrous. I was just torn between nitrous and a cam. So i chose the cam. And i was reading a bunch of threads about how macs dont flow as good as LT's I'll prolly just go with a set of pacesetter race LT's and get true duals. Thanks for your replies revelation.
Old 03-16-2004, 09:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I wasnt making fun of you, nor was i referring to you saying nitrous. I was just torn between nitrous and a cam. So i chose the cam. And i was reading a bunch of threads about how macs dont flow as good as LT's I'll prolly just go with a set of pacesetter race LT's and get true duals. Thanks for your replies revelation.
I see. I think you've made a good choice with the pacesetters. I got mine shipped for $375. You said the macs were $275, so 10 extra hp (give or take) not to mention more TQ under the curve for 100 bucks ain't bad. True duals are also the way to go IMO. My pacesetter Y sucks ****, 'bout to go T.duals myself. The Stealth Cam should be a nice addition as well.
Take Care.
Old 03-16-2004, 09:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I see. I think you've made a good choice with the pacesetters. I got mine shipped for $375. You said the macs were $275, so 10 extra hp (give or take) not to mention more TQ under the curve for 100 bucks ain't bad. True duals are also the way to go IMO. My pacesetter Y sucks ****, 'bout to go T.duals myself. The Stealth Cam should be a nice addition as well.
Take Care.
Man youve got me alll excited bout headers n a cam haha
Old 03-16-2004, 10:07 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Man youve got me alll excited bout headers n a cam haha
So what's this gonna do for ya?

PM me for more info. I've gots duals. So does JRP if you have any questions...
Old 03-16-2004, 10:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SouthFL.02.SS
So what's this gonna do for ya?
PM me for more info. I've gots duals. So does JRP if you have any questions...

Mommy...I think I just wet my pants.

Did you use the Dr.Gas kit or are those custom?
Old 03-17-2004, 06:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'll be running duals off of the pacesetters. I'm going with a magnaflow X pipe, into some moroso spiral flows, dynomax bullets, or magnaflow race pipes all the way out to the back.
Old 03-17-2004, 08:18 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Mommy...I think I just wet my pants.

Did you use the Dr.Gas kit or are those custom?

That was a custom 3" X, fabbed up by the local shop.