Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Pics of 10 bolt during fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 08:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pics of 10 bolt during fluid change

Well I changed the fluid today and took a few pics while I was at it.
I don't know much about gears but I wanted to post them up to see if anyone noticed anything abnormal. There weren't many shavings on the cover magnet.

I do know that the pinion seal is leaking, and I also see fluid where the axle housing meets the differential, but I never see anything under the car, even after parking it for 2 weeks. I d feel like I hear a slight whine or whistle at light throttle when cruising in 6th, but its hard to tell if its from the rear or not. Don't mind the fluid on the cover itself by the bolts, thats just extra pb blaster.

Anything input is appreciated, I trying learn more as I maintain the car.
Old 02-03-2012, 09:08 AM
Staging Lane

It seems fairly normal with many cars and trucks for there to be a damp spot around the axle tubes so I wouldn't worry about that much - especially the amount you're seeing. The pinion seal may be something to keep your eye on, especially since that can easily get worse and possibly lose enough gear lube to cause problems later on. As far as the gears go - they seem to be in good shape. I typically look at the gear lube itself as a sign of wear also. I had a dodge truck which I started hearing a clunk in certain situations so I pulled the diff cover and the gear lube looked like gray metallic paint when I drained it. The spider gears were completely chewed up. I expect that yours was relatively clean judging by the amount of shavings on the magnetic. I would be interested in seeing what others say, but I think you are in pretty good shape - just keep an eye on the pinion seal.
Old 02-03-2012, 11:27 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by User Name Here
It seems fairly normal with many cars and trucks for there to be a damp spot around the axle tubes so I wouldn't worry about that much - especially the amount you're seeing. The pinion seal may be something to keep your eye on, especially since that can easily get worse and possibly lose enough gear lube to cause problems later on. As far as the gears go - they seem to be in good shape. I typically look at the gear lube itself as a sign of wear also. I had a dodge truck which I started hearing a clunk in certain situations so I pulled the diff cover and the gear lube looked like gray metallic paint when I drained it. The spider gears were completely chewed up. I expect that yours was relatively clean judging by the amount of shavings on the magnetic. I would be interested in seeing what others say, but I think you are in pretty good shape - just keep an eye on the pinion seal.
Thanks for your input. The fluid was pretty dark, but didn't have any grayish color to it. I'll keep on eye on the pinion seal. I've only had the car for the last 3k miles, and it was a bone stock, 1 owner car, so I'm hoping my odds are pretty high it was well maintained. Eventually I'd like to put 4.10s in it, but at that point I'll probably go for a 12 bolt or 9 inch.
Old 02-03-2012, 12:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 134 Likes on 118 Posts

cleanest magnet I've ever seen !
Old 02-03-2012, 09:33 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by FirstYrLS1Z
I don't know for sure when the last fluid change was, but the car has 114k on it
Old 02-04-2012, 09:18 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by FirstYrLS1Z
yeah I've got a 98 too and mine is always covered with clutch dust from the Auburn. The first time I saw it I thought I was in big trouble since I didn't understand what it was. lol
Old 02-04-2012, 10:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a concrete driveway, and never saw 1 spot. But I kept seeing diff fluid all over the drive shaft (sticky dried) and on a shield close by, along with on the bottom above the drive shaft on the painted surface of the car,and in the front of the housing where the drive shaft is attached. When I changed the fluid and put the new drainage cover on, that's when I noticed I was 1 qt low! I started seeing a few spots again, on a black top driveway 2 yrs ago, and just kept checking the fluid level. Then in 2011 I had a new rear seal installed, and the leak stopped. The only advise I would give anyone is check your fluid level as often as you can. My hawk was'nt beat on and it never saw the track, and it leaked.
Old 02-05-2012, 10:51 AM
TECH Resident

While you under it check the vent at the top. They sometimes clog with dirt.

Al 95 Z28
Old 02-05-2012, 08:25 PM
TECH Resident

Check the ends of axel, they leak also... You notice crap slung on the inside of your wheel
Old 02-05-2012, 08:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Gears look pretty frickin clean... magnet is abnormally clean..
Old 02-07-2012, 02:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ya i'd say that setup is almost to clean lol the magnet has like nothing on it haha mine usually has some dust or paste on it at least
Old 02-09-2012, 03:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Aint nothing wrong with that 10 bolt....yet
Old 02-10-2012, 11:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Big Al
While you under it check the vent at the top. They sometimes clog with dirt.

Al 95 Z28
vent?
Old 02-11-2012, 12:10 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by DarkJuggalo
vent?
Yes, vent. On the center housing, right side above where the axle tube enters the center section. It's plastic and is just pushed into the casting. If it stops up the axle will develop internal pressure and push oil out.

Al 95 Z28
Old 02-16-2012, 09:50 PM
On The Tree

Also worth noting is that I used the black permatex rtv, sealed like a champ.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:58 PM
TECH Addict

lol.. you should see my 10 bolt.. theres so much road grime/grease on it its not even funny.... the whine is normal.... even some of the new cars had it....there is a stabilizer you can use (lucas?).. that should help it...

Quick Reply: Pics of 10 bolt during fluid change