Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

buying gto with check engine light on...

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 11:01 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default buying gto with check engine light on...

Hey, its been a long time since i have posted on here because I sold my z28. Well I'm looking at getting an 04 GTO m6. The only problem is that its had a cam swap done and the check engine light is on. Kind of looks like it is running rich because I smell a ton of gas when it starts. The dealer has no idea what size cam it is running.

What can I do to get it running correctly? Should I even purchase it because the dealer has no info on the cam? Would I be able to buy a hand held tuner to get this taken care of? What other options might I have for this? I also cannot take it to anywhere to have it dyno tuned because the closest one is around 300 miles away.

Sorry for the newb question but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

You could probably get someone with a wideband and HP Tuners to help you street tune it. I'm not sure a handheld tuner will really be much help. To get the A/F ratio dialed in you really need a real tune.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:49 PM
Staging Lane

So you not knowing the size of the cam in the car wouldn't really be a problem with tuning? I might know someone that can tune it. Just thinking it might be more hassle that its worth, ya know?
Old 02-05-2012, 02:19 AM
10 Second Club

You don't need cam specs to tune it. And a handheld is not going to adress the issues in the tune that need fixed.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:04 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Robofuzz
You could probably get someone with a wideband and HP Tuners to help you street tune it. I'm not sure a handheld tuner will really be much help. To get the A/F ratio dialed in you really need a real tune.
Originally Posted by 402GOAT
You don't need cam specs to tune it. And a handheld is not going to adress the issues in the tune that need fixed.
Agreed. Handhelds simply aren't worth it if you're trying to get the optimal power out of your set up. And having a cam in there means a handheld will do even less. Get a scanner and run it on the car to see what codes it's throwing first before Mine had the check engine light on when I went to test drive it. I drove 5 hours for it and wasn't about to buy it and drive it home without knowing what was going on. So my test drive was me driving to AutoZone to see what the scanner came up with. It ended up having 7 or so codes. All but 1 had to do with running rich and not having cats. The other was a 6 cylinder misfire. I figured that was a coil pack or plug that went bad. So I bought it, drove it 5 hours home, put it in the lift, and figured out the passenger rear o2 was almost falling out. Plugged it in and misfire gone! Point being, check engine lights aren't always bad. Some may tell you not to buy it because of that. I'm just saying get it tested so you know what the issues are.
Old 02-05-2012, 04:57 PM
Staging Lane

Well I will go test drive it again and take it up to autozone to have the codes checked tomorrow. I have also posted about it in another local forum and a few people have looked into it a little more. They say that its a H/C/I car with no after market exhaust. The only thing that bothers me about it I guess is that it has 20k miles on it. That seems really low so it makes me think it will not be very reliable and I'm kind of looking for a fun DD right now.
Old 02-05-2012, 06:58 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It should be very reliable IF the codes aren't anything serious. Right now it could be anything.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:30 AM
Staging Lane

OK, so this is what I have found out this morning. Throwing two codes. P0172 and P0175. It has 823 listed on the heads. Sounds like its running rich from the sound of both of those codes. Any advice on what to do? I know someone with an HP tuner program, would he be able to get everything running correctly?
Old 02-06-2012, 10:44 AM
On The Tree

yep if you have somebody who knows how to tune LS engines he wont have problem with tuning your car.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I threw a cam in my car over the summer, not knowing the exact specs of it, and it was not a problem for the tuner. I would just be concerned how the car was driven untuned. Hopefully no full throttle pulls or anything like that... you don't want a lean condition.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:07 PM
On The Tree

Not a bad thing but 823 heads are L92 heads (truck heads). Sounds like the car has had a few mods. You may have some luck finding out what was done to the car if you poke around the ls1gto forums.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:44 PM
TECH Regular

You should have no problems with that being a reliable DD. If it's a huge cam with something like a 110 LSA it will take some getting used to but you should be fine. Just make sure your buddy with HPT knows what they're doing. Running rich is fine but when you get too lean then you're gonna have problems.
Being a H/C/I car that thing should be pretty quick. But I'm not sure why anybody would go through the trouble of that without touching the exhaust. I would look into maybe changing that...

Quick Reply: buying gto with check engine light on...