Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

How do you remove the axle shaft?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 04:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How do you remove the axle shaft?

I have a 1997 Camaro SS. I broke the axle in half near the hub. I have a replacement axle shaft and have the differential cover off. I don't want to begin unbolting stuff that I don't need to. What needs to be removed in order to get to the c-clips to pull the shaft out?

Also, I have 3:43s. It looks like I have an auburn posi differential.

Thanks
Old 02-11-2012, 04:58 PM
Teching In

I'll shoot from memory here, the last 10 bolt I tore apart was over 10 years ago. On the carrier you will see a bolt running sideways that holds in the pin between the two axle shafts. Remove the bolt, move the pin enough so you can push the axle in so you can access the c clip.
Now this was on a car without any traction control, I'm not sure how that may change things.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:51 PM
Teching In

sorry to highjack this a bit, but how difficult is it to replace the axle shaft and bearing?? thinking of trying to get this over with tomorrow...
Old 02-12-2012, 08:22 AM
Staging Lane

Honestly, its not hard at all. Basic hand tools will get the axle out
Youll need a slide hammer with an axle bearing puller to change out the bearing though
Old 02-12-2012, 12:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

like gmdoctor said...youl need to spin the carrier until you see a small bolt, its like a 7mm i believe going sideways, remove that, and theres a big half inch pin, about 5inches ling youll need to remove also, be careful not to spin the carrier too much or your spider gears will fall out and theyre a mother ****** gettin back in place...remove the wheel speed sensor by the wheel if it has this type, push the axle inward, and remove the c clip, then the axle should pop/slide out of the housing, it may appear to be somewhat stuck, but youll havta pry a lil inside the diff aginst the axle to get it to pop through
Old 02-12-2012, 06:58 PM
Teching In

Hey thanks for the replies. It took forever (mostly the damn bearing) but it's done. Not too bad with the right tools.
Old 02-24-2012, 12:25 PM
On The Tree

Well, I got it out! Thanks guys. Now, for question #2)

How do you remove the axle shaft seal? Mine is trashed and rusted in. Do the bearings come out with it?

Thanks,
Spencer

Quick Reply: How do you remove the axle shaft?