Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 5.3 Rod bolt question

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 03:39 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 2001 5.3 Rod bolt question

I purchased a 01 5.3 motor to use in a 67 camaro with a turbo. I'm about to get the engine back to my house and pull it apart to get it ready for boost. So far I have decided to add ARP rod bolts/main studs and head studs. It will have a billit wheel Comp 76mm turbo and hoping for 600rwhp with a good turbo cam and 93 oct thru a T56, Fab 9 rear and 29x18R20 Mickey Thompson steam rollers. So probably 720-730hp at the crank. My biggest question is the type of bolts the factory rods have. Is it the type that the bolt comes out completely or is it a nut and the stud stays in and has to be pressed out? Im wanting to see if I will be able to remove the stockers and install the ARP rod bolts by only removing the oil pan. Or if I would have to pull the heads, remove pistons/rods and have the studs pressed out and new studs pressed in or something. I'm praying its a bolt style that all comes out. But when I look at Jegs/summit it shows pics of both styles for the 5.3 LS Gen 3 motor. I know those pics arent always the exact part, sometimes just a generic pic. Can somebody please verify this for me? Also if we happen to have any experts among us does anyone know the ARP part numbers for the 12 point head studs, main studs and rod bolts? Do any of the sponsors here offer better pricing than Jegs or summit? I will also be looking for a high volume/high pressure oil pump, double roller timing set, hardened pushrods, LS7 lifters, rocker trunion upgrade kit, gasket set, springs (for custom cam when Pat-G sends me the spec sheet i've paid him to do). So hopefully a sponsor would be willing to work a package deal and maybe even a active duty military discount...
Old 02-20-2012, 03:42 AM
On The Tree

The reason i'm asking for the part numbers is because so many different ones pop up for it on jegs/summit. I dont want to risk ordering the wrong ones. Already gone over budget on this setup as insurance didnt give me near what my 68 camaro should have been worth. (House burned down November 3rd 2011 and camaro was in the garage, was finally finishing it after 7 years). I was just going to put the stock 5.3 in and turbo it. But for the sake of insurance of not having to tear back into it soon I wanted to put ARP bolts in rods/mains/heads. Same reason for the oil pump and valvetrain upgrades.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The LS motors just unbolt and do not have any nuts that need to be taken off. You definitely want to upgrade them, stockers would not be able to handle the rpms or HP. Sorry for the loss on the house and car buddy, hope it works out for the best
Old 02-20-2012, 09:38 AM
Launching!

I've never been in the bottom end of a Gen 4 but I do know that my LM7 Gen 3's do NOT have nuts. The rod side is threaded and then the cap goes on bolt goes thru the cap into the already threaded rod. Nothing like the Gen1 SBC.

Ive got the house burn down tshirt to (Mar8'03). Hope you didnt have state farm! They were horrible to work with. Good luck!
Old 02-21-2012, 12:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Scoggin Dickey as of a year or so ago had the best price on the 1 piece sportsman rod bolts for LS gen 3 engines at $70 ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,so they probably still do and maybe also for the other fasteners as well . Also there was a thread in either this forum (section) or the gen4 internal eng forum yesterday that has a link to a company that sells I-beams Eagles or Callies for $283.xx . I'll see if I can find it ,,,,,,,,,,,good find fo sho .
Old 02-21-2012, 05:32 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im doing the same build .. the bolts come right out im going with arp bolts
Old 02-21-2012, 10:54 PM
On The Tree

Im hearing now that removing the ferrels (short sleeve) from the caps is tough and can damage the caps. Anybody have that issue? And that the rods are known to fail before the factory rod bolts. If this is true it may not be worth upgrading. Does anybody know what year they upgraded the rods in the 5.3 motors?

Last edited by 88silvergt; 02-21-2012 at 11:47 PM.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:45 PM
On The Tree

I've found references for both 2005 and 2006. So just wanting to make sure. If I can find one cheap I will just start with that instead.

Quick Reply: 2001 5.3 Rod bolt question