Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

should i bring my car to korea?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 06:25 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default should i bring my car to korea?

how are the roads there? do people actually follow the rules or is it a free for all? i'll be bringing my family so i'll be there for 3 years. that's a long time to keep my car in storage in the states. but i don't want to bring it if it's just gonna get beat up.
Old 02-25-2012, 06:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

what part of korea or you going to? im at osan and koreans are crazy drivers IMO. the roads right off base are pretty narrow with cars parked on both sides but a lot of E-7's and up drive every day so it can be done. if you're staying for 3 years it would be very smart to bring it. what kind of car do you have or plan on taking? the smaller and crappier the vehicle the better lol but like i said this is at osan i don't know about other places in korea other than seoul, which isn't terrible
Old 02-25-2012, 03:25 PM
Trunion King

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Danng. Long tour in Korea sounds crazy!
Old 02-25-2012, 06:37 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah, you'd probably have the fastest and baddest car in Korea if you took your Volt or Saturn with you, but you wouldn't want to subject even those cars to Korean drivers or Korean roads. A couple of my Soldiers are about to report to Korea and have let me see their instructions. Only E7+ and Command Sponsored can own POVs there. I've done two tours there already. I'm one of the guys out there that LOVE to live behind the steering wheel, but can't tell you how much I detested driving while over there. Do yourself a favor and don't risk it. Those retarded lil bastards over there LOVE to jump out in front of our military semis and HEMMTs...what hesitation do you think there'll be to jump out in front of your POV? Lemme answer this for you: Less than none. They'll jump out in front of you whether driving or on foot before they realize what they're doing. THEY DON'T CARE.
Old 02-25-2012, 07:21 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by JHL88
what part of korea or you going to? im at osan and koreans are crazy drivers IMO. the roads right off base are pretty narrow with cars parked on both sides but a lot of E-7's and up drive every day so it can be done. if you're staying for 3 years it would be very smart to bring it. what kind of car do you have or plan on taking? the smaller and crappier the vehicle the better lol but like i said this is at osan i don't know about other places in korea other than seoul, which isn't terrible
i'll be going to osan and i was thinking of bringing my 02 SS. do you have your cars with you or is someone taking care of them in the states?
Old 02-25-2012, 11:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by The Professor
i'll be going to osan and i was thinking of bringing my 02 SS. do you have your cars with you or is someone taking care of them in the states?
well, im by myself (E-4) and only here for a year. my wife is back in south carolina taking car of my z06 and pickup. if your SS is in good shape id think twice honestly, or buy an old beater and find someone to take care of your camaro. ive seen one WS6 here and its so dirty looking i feel sorry for it. fyi all they have on base is a non brushless car wash that will scratch the crap out of your clear coat, i dont know about off base. if you have any questions feel free to shoot me a PM or something ill be glad to help
Old 02-25-2012, 11:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ricks4genshianne
Yeah, you'd probably have the fastest and baddest car in Korea if you took your Volt or Saturn with you, but you wouldn't want to subject even those cars to Korean drivers or Korean roads. A couple of my Soldiers are about to report to Korea and have let me see their instructions. Only E7+ and Command Sponsored can own POVs there. I've done two tours there already. I'm one of the guys out there that LOVE to live behind the steering wheel, but can't tell you how much I detested driving while over there. Do yourself a favor and don't risk it. Those retarded lil bastards over there LOVE to jump out in front of our military semis and HEMMTs...what hesitation do you think there'll be to jump out in front of your POV? Lemme answer this for you: Less than none. They'll jump out in front of you whether driving or on foot before they realize what they're doing. THEY DON'T CARE.
very true
Old 02-27-2012, 12:38 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ricks4genshianne
one of the teachers on Yongsan Garrison has an NSX. i've seen numerous lambos in seoul. Porsches are fairly common. good luck having a volt as a fast car.

but yeah, people drive like dicks
Old 02-27-2012, 04:56 PM
Staging Lane

lol, I was trying to be funny with that comment about the Volt. It was a burn on the performance of the Daewoos, Hyundais, Kias, and Samsungs over there, not against the NSX, Lambos, Porsches, and Skylines that happen to be there.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

DO NOT, repeat DO NOT bring ANYTHING remotely nice to Korea!!

Like said earlier those guys are nuts, even the cabbies on base! Wait til you get there then buy some E-7+'s beater/driver! When I was at Osan in 06 it was all daily drivers, little econo-boxes cause no ones there forever, let alone trying to impress anyone else lol. Think I saw ONE f-body on base the whole time, it was like a '94 teal V6 car with like 175k on it... Fun times, but NO place for YOUR car(s)
Old 03-28-2012, 10:44 PM
Teching In

Do not take it!!!!!!!! Buy a beater there and save yourself any headache. Sucks you gonna be without but it's better then getting hit by a non-caring Korean

Old 04-09-2012, 05:51 PM
TECH Resident

Just got back from Korea. I was at Osan but went to a few Army bases too...like others have said if it's a decently nice car...I would not bring it and I would not store a car for 3 years unless it was some rare car. My .02.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:38 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 99WS7
Just got back from Korea. I was at Osan but went to a few Army bases too...like others have said if it's a decently nice car...I would not bring it and I would not store a car for 3 years unless it was some rare car. My .02.
those were my only two choices. there's no one i would leave it with for that long.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:33 PM
Staging Lane

You can always store it on jack stands and trust a friend to go and start it every month and let her idle. If you can't find anyone to do that there are some storage facilities that offer that service for an additional fee. You just have to research a little. I agree that bringing a nice car to Korea would be a bad idea, unless you never intend on leaving the base with your car. Osan is a nice base decent roads,(it is an Airforce base after all). But as soon as you leave that base then good luck. Hope this helps, have a nice tour.
Old 04-15-2012, 04:51 PM
On The Tree

I did two years and they didnt allow people under e7 to start having their POV's until a few months before I pcs'd.. I was at Camp Carroll and the roads in that area were alot better than the roads in the states... I wouldnt take a really nice car, but definitley take SOMETHING! You will soon realize that taking the buses/trains/taxis everywhere sucks! You spend a whole day trying to get somewhere.. having a pov would have made my experience much better while I was there. I had two very young kids at the time which really limited what we could do because of not wanting to have them stuck on public transportation for hours at a time. The SS would be alot of fun on the highway though.. I didnt see a cop posted up on the highway during my entire tour lol. Good luck and enjoy your tour!

Edit: I see alot of posts of how crazy the korean drivers are... but really they are just aggresive and everyone seems to be in a hurry. Surprisingly though there are alot less accidents.. you just gotta pay attention and like anything else you get used to driving with the flow in no time. I drove a humvee on the public roads everyday and never had any problems (close calls sure, but thats anywhere.. ). I actually think our convoys caused more problems in the flow of traffic more than anything lol. Gas is more expensive as well, another thing to keep in mind.

Last edited by critical.in.ga; 04-15-2012 at 05:01 PM.
Old 04-19-2012, 05:58 AM
TECH Addict

I would bring it, and buy a cheap pos there to drive for everyday use. And just drive the SS on base. I never saw the car shop at osan is it decent?

The one at camp henry was small but usable

Quick Reply: should i bring my car to korea?