Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fan problem?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2004, 10:48 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Fan problem?

Im not real sure how the fans and all that jazz work, but here is my problem. A couple of +weeks ago I was idling around thru traffic and my the temp guage got up close to 210. Well yesterday I went to the beach, lots of traffic. No probs. Get back home, leave the car running a bit as i ran in the house to get something. come back out and its close to 210. Neither of the fans were on so i figure thats my problem. Get up this morning, drive the car a bit and then check the fans and they are blowing at whatever the stock thermostat is. Im confused. Why would the fans work at a lower temp and not work when it gets hot.
Old 03-22-2004, 02:06 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The stock settings for fan activation and fan deactivation are not the same. So if your fans come on at 218 F then they might go off at 190 F. That would explain why it would seem like they were not on when it was hot yet on when the gauge was normal. If you still have problems with temps try either the cheap fan switch or you can get the SLP fan switch. I know my temps combined with my 160 f thermo are always where I can tolerate them.
Old 03-22-2004, 07:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

your stock gauge is not accurate, if its a 99+

210, can be from 187 to 228 (approx that range)

these cars run hot from the factory. I built a fan switch, (like the slp one, plug and play) and put a 180 stat in mine, temps stay 190-192.

Ryan
Old 03-22-2004, 08:32 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

FAN1_ON is something like 226F from the factory.
Kooky. But the A/C (and the defroster uses A/C to
dry the air, there's your AM fans probably) will kick
fans on full time.

The fans could be set more sensibly but it's not a
problem per se.