Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wanna get a cutout but have a question

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2004, 11:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wanna get a cutout but have a question

I was thinking about getting the electronic cut out but im not confident the electronic opener is going to work and be reliable. As of late i've read about quite a few people are having issues with them. Should i just skip the electronic vavle and just get the cut out? exactly how loud is this thing gonna be if i put one in my I pipe with lt's and no cats? how can i supress the interior resonance as well?
thanks
Travis
Old 03-22-2004, 12:18 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cut-outs with nothing before them sound like ***! i have a bullet before each of my cutouts and it sounds BAD ***. i also have dual electric cut-outs. cuse it's pretty loud late at night. yeah they are SUPER over priced and break down all the time but..... its so cool.
Old 03-22-2004, 12:59 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SUX2BU
cut-outs with nothing before them sound like ***! i have a bullet before each of my cutouts and it sounds BAD ***. i also have dual electric cut-outs. cuse it's pretty loud late at night. yeah they are SUPER over priced and break down all the time but..... its so cool.

So having dual cutouts in the y-pipe right after the headers will sound like A$$.... Please tell me this isn't true.. I just spent the money for two flowtech cutouts and McCord MPP2's....

I have Pacesetter LT's and their ORY... Will it still sound like crap once I get the cam in my sig in?

Thanks
Old 03-22-2004, 03:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

Location: In the Keebler elves freg'n tree house eating freg'n cookies

Longtubes+ no cats+cutout= F'n loud.
I used to have just an SLP Y-pipe and a cutout and it was cool, but sometimes I would get a really ugly uncontrolled drone. "Yesterday" I ran no cats with an SLP y-pipe and a SLP Loudmouth and I was climbing hills at 15mph to not stir the cops. I loved the sound, but it was undriveable...it was track loud, man.
Old 03-22-2004, 07:57 AM
11 Second Club

cutouts rule... and they do sound loud and mean! i love my QTP electric cutout. i have no problems with it. its a well designed peice. check them out at www.quicktimeperformance.com
Old 03-22-2004, 08:19 AM
TECH Veteran

Opinions are like a-holes. Everyone has 'em, and they all usually stink. Go with it, and if you don't like it, you can change it. I think you'll like it, though. I had one with a totally stock exhaust, and it sounded awesome. I have a clip on my website.
Old 03-22-2004, 08:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

im just thinking about putting one without the electronic valve in the I pipe cause I know if i can open it from inside the car, I'll always open it lol. figure if i have to get out and uncapp it ill save it for the track or just really nice days.

SUX2BU, does it sound like *** because of rasp or drone? I know how i can cancell out the interior vibrations or atleast keep them to a minimum, and im not to worried about drone, as I dont want to keep it open very often (track use, occasional retirement home drive by)...im just tryign to get a feel why you thought it sounded like ***

Last questions...I have to get a pack of two (40 bux for two flowtechs at the local shop). They wont sell me just one for some reason but hey 40 for two aint bad i guess. Should i goahead and put both in or just use one? should i put it right after the Y pipe on the I pipe, or further back over the axle where the muffler is?
THnx fellas
Travis
Old 03-22-2004, 12:28 PM
11 Second Club

i just HATE the cut out and the borla rasp. it sounds HORRIBLE INMO. to get rid of 90 % of this rasp i found that putting two bullets (one on each side) right after the headers is best.
Old 03-22-2004, 12:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

I don't have any rasp issues with the pacesetters, 2.5 inch ory and hooker catback, there is a little bit at 2200-2400 rpms but im rarely there for very long. will the cut out rasp itself? Im putting it in the I-pipe about half way down, i figure the less metal the air goes through the less rasp. I figure the exhaust will have a deep deep bass note that would shake the **** out of my car but im going to put some dampening stuff around where the cut out is to limit the resonation.

anyone else have any rasp issues with their cutout?
T
Old 03-22-2004, 02:57 PM
On The Tree

I have a quicktime electric cut-out and love it. Have had no problems with opening or closing it. My car is bone stock except for the lid and cut-out and with it open it's loud. Sounds good. can't wait to put headers on it and make my neighbors crazy
Old 03-22-2004, 03:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

i have(had)a quick time cutout and it recently destroyed itself while i was not even touching the ****. the motor and gears came off of the valve gear and stripped the bolts holding it. all of the gears dropped out and some of the rods holding it together. there goes $100 piece down the road. it was great while it lasted and yeah it rasped during the shifts but it was reeaallyy cool untill it blew apart.
Old 03-22-2004, 03:29 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BigPlanTransAm
i have(had)a quick time cutout and it recently destroyed itself while i was not even touching the ****. the motor and gears came off of the valve gear and stripped the bolts holding it. all of the gears dropped out and some of the rods holding it together. there goes $100 piece down the road. it was great while it lasted and yeah it rasped during the shifts but it was reeaallyy cool untill it blew apart.
Don't they have some type of warranty? Maybe if you contact QTP and let them know what's up.. Maybe.. Just maybe.. they'll replace it for ya at a discounted price or something.
Old 03-22-2004, 06:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thumbs up

ive had my QTP cut-out for about 4 months and its by far the best mod ive ever done!!!! i currently run FLP long tubes with NO CATS and then the cut-out......
AND IT IS SOOOOO F#%KING LOUD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i love it!for me in CA i open and close it all the time...( just to be safe ). ive never heard a street car louder than mine! its freakin awsome.....but like i said its not open all the time....i have a stock SLP catback that is VERY quiet also....and if you are worried about droan, or rasp or it being to loud ...DONT GET IT!
but if want to be the loudest ****** car on the block, if you want to set off car alarms when you start it up , if you want to scare the crap out of a import than get it!

unless your like 80 years old or just a puss.....youll love it!
Old 03-22-2004, 06:33 PM
11 Second Club

QTP stands behind their product and do have a warranty i believe... of coarse nothing in the world is perfect.. but i had to get my electric cutout since all my buddies have them and love them!.. and yes its the coolest thing ever!
Old 03-22-2004, 07:37 PM
12 Second Club

I as thinking of getting an electric cut-out eventually, too. I was gonna use a master switch to enable/disable it, and when it was enabled, have it open automatically at ~3000rpm and close again after i get off the gas, using those rpm switches that people use for NOS. The reason being that I heard you lose a little low-end torque with the cutout, and i want all the torque i can get for the hole shot. Does this sound reasonable? I only want it for when i 'need' it, not buzzing old people or setting off car alarms. How fast do the electric cutouts open/close? And how much difference in perfomance would you see using 2 cutouts right after headers on the Y-pipe vs 1 cutout on the I-pipe? I was thinking to just use the one in the I-pipe...
Old 03-22-2004, 08:14 PM
11 Second Club

thats not going to work. it takes like 5 - 7 seconds to open or close all the way.
Old 03-22-2004, 09:44 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by SUX2BU
thats not going to work. it takes like 5 - 7 seconds to open or close all the way.
hm, that sucks, i guess.
Old 03-23-2004, 08:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

it'll probably break real quick too...having to open and close so often like that.
Old 03-24-2004, 12:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Funny you should mention setting off car alarms. I've done that several times this year alone when I had the cutout open and I don't even have headers . Get compliments on my exhaust aaaallllll the time!
Old 03-24-2004, 12:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

I've had my MPP2 for about 2 years or so now... no probs... works great (had an MPP original at first... had problems but Keith (McCord) has since fixed those probs) Hell just today I was in a grocery store parking lot... wanted to hit up blockbuster... and as I'm driving through on slicks, skinnies and cut-out wide open (well borla exhaust but bypass wide open) i see a town cop ... he turns to follow me so I hit the toggle switch to shut my plate... makes the car sound much quieter (though in my case even quiet is obnoxious)

Last edited by horist; 03-24-2004 at 12:38 AM.